Returning to Scotland from overseas

(3 Posts)
hosnav Sun 05-Mar-17 08:38:31

My son has been at an International School overseas for his whole life thus far. We are returning to Scotland and he will have finished Year 11 which I think is S5 (or is it S4?) so he is ready to start his final Secondary school exam courses. If he stayed at his current school, that would be International Baccalaureate but in Scotland, it would be Highers. (Do they start in S5 or S6?)
We will live in the catchment for James Gillespie's high school but I am wondering if anyone knows how likely it is they would have a place for someone coming in to S5/6. People have told me it will be a big culture shock for him going from an International School to a Scottish state school, so I am wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on how true this is likely to be. Anyone got any experience of sending their child to this school post Standard Grades? Thanks

Buckeyedjim Sun 05-Mar-17 12:55:45

Regarding the space, just give the school a ring. I would think it more likely there'd be space in S5/6 than in S1. S5 would be better, as then he could do highers in S5 and 6, since he hasn't any already. S5 students tend to work harder than S6, some of whom have unconditional offers and ease up a bit! Gillespies is a well thought of school I am sure he will do well there. It's going to be a bit of a culture shock no matter what school he goes to.

Athensofthenorth Sun 05-Mar-17 22:36:04

There are independent schools that offer the IB. There might be an issue in taking Highers (start in S5) as they lead on from Nat 5s. I would give the school a call to discuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now