Commuting question

(14 Posts)
free2fly Fri 03-Mar-17 11:15:21

Hi there, we are re-locating to Edinburgh in June and are currently house-hunting. I wonder if anyone living in Barnton could tell me how long it takes them to travel by car to the centre of town during the school run hours. My son will go to George Heriots in Lauriston Place, and we're finding it quite difficult to find somewhere in a more 'in town'/convenient location. We also thought that Barnton might be nice as we may get a slightly bigger house and a garden. Are we crazy to consider this, and would the commute be a bit of a nightmare? Many thanks in advance for any advice you are able to give smile

cocopops Fri 03-Mar-17 13:05:58

Hi- depending on what time you leave the house, its likely to take around 30 mins. The school run starts around 7.50am and the Queensferry Road which is the one you'd take, gets very log jammed- not to mention the 20mph once you hit nearer town. If your child is older, you'd be better to let them get the 41 bus which goes directly up to Heriots from Barnton.

I live in Blackhall and my dd is at Mary Erskine which is a 10 min walk from our house. I work and quite honestly wouldn't consider a longer school commute than this- especially given the amount of after school activities there are!

Have you thought about Mornjngside or the Grange?

HTH

cocopops Fri 03-Mar-17 13:06:42

Morningside rather.....

Musicaltheatremum Fri 03-Mar-17 20:30:05

Newington/grange/Bruntsfield are better for George Heriots. You have to contend with all the traffic coming into Edinburgh from Barnton. Lots of buses from the above places and many within walking distance. We love out near Cameron Toll shopping centre and kids got bus to Heriots every day. They start at 8.35am (Loved the school by the way so good luck)

free2fly Fri 03-Mar-17 20:30:40

Many thanks cocopops, that's very helpful info. We'v been looking in Morningside/Grange too, but there isn't an awful lot on the market at the moment, and most of what we've seen requires a lot of renovation, on top the the premium you seem to need to pay to buy in those areas. Completely agree though about keeping commuting time to a minimum, he would love to be able to walk to school, as he's never been able to do that - that's the dream! So I think we may need to compromise on the house/flat space. Would have loved a bit of garden though, as are currently living in Singapore in an apartment

free2fly Fri 03-Mar-17 20:38:03

Thanks Musicaltheatremum, I will definitely look more into Bruntsfield/Newington and Grange - good point about the buses too, I'll take a closer look at the bus routes

free2fly Sun 05-Mar-17 05:04:48

Anyone in Barnton who can give their opinion on travelling into Edinburgh during commuting hours? (Still keen on Barnton!)

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 05-Mar-17 14:07:44

My DP used to do it - it was OK if you could leave after 830 (he had the sort of job where a nine-ish start was good enough) but anytime before 830 would take twice as long and would inevitably involve getting stuck in traffic. So not great for a school day start, I'm afraid. How old is DS? A lot of DCs from our area get the 41 to Heriot's, would that be an option?

free2fly Sun 05-Mar-17 19:31:41

Many thanks LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett, We could use the bus - DS will have just turned 10, so when a little older could commute with the other children. It's good to hear there are other GH children living in the area!

EdinburghPS Sun 05-Mar-17 22:01:54

Quite a few people from Heriot's live in Barnton and commute. My daughter is at Heriot's and loves it! Good luck to your son starting and I hope you find a house soon

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 05-Mar-17 23:01:39

It would be entirely normal to see 10 year olds on the bus on their own.

free2fly Mon 06-Mar-17 06:45:37

Great news LonnyVonny and Edinburgh PS, thanks so much for your feedback. It's good to know that Barnton is a viable option. My DS currently has a 35 minute commute, so wouldn't be too fazed by it being a bit longer. He would love the independence of riding the bus (eeek!), in due course

tribal Wed 08-Mar-17 22:29:25

I used to live near there and absolutely HATE the Queensferry road during rush hour. And that is on a good day. When there is road works or an accident (happens quite frequently!) it gets even worse.

free2fly Thu 09-Mar-17 00:46:20

Thanks Tribal, yes I can imagine it gets pretty choked up in rush hour, not a great way to start the day sitting fuming in traffic sad Have been thinking long and hard about it, and think maybe better all round if we try to find a more central/southside home.... am wondering if there are any other good areas I haven't considered outside of Morningside, Bruntsfield, Newington etc. easily commutable to Lauriston Pl. (can't seem to find anything we like/within our budget ) - maybe too much to hope for? I know compromises will have to be made though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now