Admissions Independent Sector

(6 Posts)
Bambi2012 Wed 01-Mar-17 07:17:49

Hello, Possibly relocating to Edinburgh in the summer of 2018 so have started to research schools. Can anyone tell me are the entrance exams that pupils sit in senior one the same or similar to the 11+ in England?

coffeeCamelCase Sat 04-Mar-17 14:21:57

The answer is probably "not really" but there's no standard, so you're better off naming the school(s) you're thinking of and maybe someone will know. Make sure you understand the Scottish school system and age cutoffs - not the same as England!

Bambi2012 Sat 04-Mar-17 15:38:22

Looking at Watsons, Mary Erskins/ Stewart Melville. Thank you understand the differences in age cut offs.

tribal Wed 08-Mar-17 22:42:34

I have experience of the entrance tests for s1 at these schools, While likely to be similar to 11+ they are more aligned to the scottish curriculum for excellence and the papers usually include some maths, close reading, composition and VR/NVR. They are probably slightly more difficult than the 11+ due to the ages of the kids. The tests for s1 are usually done in January each year. If you have any questions about the schools or the entrance tests please ask or send a message.

yoyo1234 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:48:26

I have experience of assessments for those schools. 11 plus bond style papers more than adequate. Throw in some essay writing practice.... the schools will do there best to make the children feel at home. Good luck to your children smile

yoyo1234 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:49:22

Their best ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now