Location confusion - help please!

(15 Posts)
petitoiseau Wed 22-Feb-17 13:53:07

Hello mumsnetters,
I am very excited to be moving to Edinburgh after Easter this year with work. I need to find rental accommodation for me, husband and kids (4&2 yos) and have tried to over research this I think as now I am feeling very, very confused! We initially looked at Trinity/Inverleith in order to be close to my work (Leith) and close to some great green spaces like the botanicals. We then extended the search to include Stockbridge and Comely Bank and found a couple of nice flats - but there were some compromises....lots of narrow stairs and busy, noisy main roads. I think I might need a reality check as I envisaged living on a nice leafy street! State primary schools become important as my daughter starts school in 2018 but, as far as I can see, there are lots of good primaries all over Edinburgh so I don't think this will hinder us hugely. Ideally I'd like a nice roomy period property and am ok with not having access to outdoor space if we're near nice parks. We had previously discounted South of the city for fear of living on top of/under noisy students and that the commute to Leith might be lengthy in Edinburgh terms - but now wondering if both of those fears are unfounded! So, if you were looking to live in a nice flat within a lovely area with good parks and facilities for kids and an ok commute to Leith - where would you pick??
Thanks so much and sorry for the ramble!

McFox Wed 22-Feb-17 15:20:23

I think that you were on the right lines initially with trinity to be honest - that's where we are and it's great, lots of green spaces and families and an easy commute to work. Going across town during rush hour is a nightmare and there are so many roadworks/large building projects going on in the city centre that you wouldn't want to have to cross through that to get to and from work. There are good schools here too, but you will pay a hefty rental on a property in a nice leafy street (if you can find one!). Try looking for a Georgian tenement - that's what we are in (it has wide sweeping stairs) and its lovely, bright and quiet.

Good luck!

petitoiseau Wed 22-Feb-17 15:28:54

Brilliant - thanks so much for that!

McFox Wed 22-Feb-17 16:24:58

You're welcome smile I should also has said that trinity puts you right beside an amazing off-road cycle path which connects you with most of the city, including Leith. It's a hidden treasure and perfect for young children, we use it almost every day for walking, running or cycling.

Can you tell that I like it here? grin

Buckeyedjim Wed 22-Feb-17 18:48:13

It's really not possible to give advice on Edinburgh locations without a ballpark price range - there is such huge variety.

petitoiseau Wed 22-Feb-17 20:43:39

Sure - our budget for a 3 bed flat is £1400 max

Buckeyedjim Wed 22-Feb-17 22:33:15

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E93604&minBedrooms=3&maxPrice=1400&minPrice=900#prop64543178
Here's some in the north of Edinburgh in that price range - a mixture of modern and old. I like the one in Cargil Terrace, that's Trinity and in catchment for Wardie Primary.

badguider Wed 22-Feb-17 22:47:37

I live in south edinburgh and travelling to leith is a PITA.
I think you were right at first. Really don't discount a large period flat - they're pretty sound proof if you get the bigger/grander type.

GrooveeCar Thu 23-Feb-17 07:54:50

I think you are looking at the right area. I live near the airport and am glad I no longer work in Leith. It took me 40 minutes to an hour some mornings.

petitoiseau Thu 23-Feb-17 09:23:21

Thanks so much for all your responses - I think that's settled then - definitely sticking to north! Will carry on the hunt (thanks for the links too!) and hopefully the right flat will materialise....I have been frightened of playing the long game (i.e. committing to leaving our current place with nothing to move into yet in Edinburgh) but looks like property comes on quite late in the day with immediate availability so trusting that it all comes good! Thanks again everyone

KingLooieCatz Thu 23-Feb-17 16:39:51

I'm in the South but I think it would be wrong of me to try to convert you- the journey would be a pig. Maybe think of your first place as a landing pad and make compromises. The leafy street may be achievable down the line. We were lucky enough to land at my parents house with two spare rooms, then a short term let for our own space but lots of road noise. About 6 months in we moved into our lovely spacious flat on quiet street. There are students but there was only one bunch that were noisy and they were dealt with through the council and the property company, but it is a bit student roulette in some areas.

BeansMcCready Thu 23-Feb-17 17:20:22

If it makes you feel better about timings, we moved into our rented flat less than two weeks after I viewed it, so things can happen really quickly! We have just moved too and went through the same thought process of North vs South and we are renting in Comely Bank which is great so far, but our priority was being close to the city centre for work. inverleith and Trinity look great and sounds like they would work for your work journey. I've got a 2 year old and a 5 year old if you fancy a meet up after your move

petitoiseau Thu 23-Feb-17 18:19:36

Ah that's great - thanks so much for all of the advice! And yes please BeansMcCready, I would love that....I don't know anyone with littlies in Edinburgh yet! x

McFox Thu 23-Feb-17 19:05:39

Sounds like you're sorted then grin I'm always up for a meet up with my 2 year old too!

petitoiseau Thu 23-Feb-17 19:25:38

Fantastic - I'll get in touch when we get settled! Should be there straight after Easter - look forward to meeting everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now