Independent schools

(10 Posts)
Itsme38 Wed 08-Feb-17 14:49:03

Hi
Was after some feedback on some of the schools in Edinburgh. Moving to Edinburgh next year and thinking about schools. We like heriots and esms and my dh went to watsons.
I know all are good academically. Any comments re general friendliness. Worried that watsons is a large school. Also how sociable are the parents at these schools as keen to get involved with school life and make friends.
I know that heriots and esms have sports off campus; can this be an issue with pickups etc?
My dd will be in a nursery at hopefully one of these schools and ds in primary one. The finishing times are different for different year groups; does this cause a problem with pick ups etc?
Trying to buy a house and decide on schools is difficult.
I know there have been threads about this but wanted up to date info.
Thabks

Athensofthenorth Wed 08-Feb-17 19:33:57

I know I've said it many times, but you really have to visit them all and find what feels like a good fit for you all. Tbh the off site games sites was a game changer for me. It can really add to the day (esp from P6 onwards, pupils will have after school games) and travel for games at the weekend.

Re friendliness no more or less than at any other school whether state or private. It is what you make of it. At all schools there are opportunities to get involved with the PTA, games teas and coffees, thrift shops etc plenty ways to get involved with others.

Itsme38 Wed 08-Feb-17 20:42:20

Thanks for that. Yes the off site games may just clinch it. We have visited a couple of them already and have likes and dislikes for both.

EdinburghPS Wed 08-Feb-17 20:57:20

Again I agree, you really have to visit them.
Depends what you are looking for.
Have you been told there are places at any of these schools? Usually the nurseries and p1 places fill up rather fast.

Starfish347 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:03:10

Agree with pp about visiting and getting a gut feel for a place. My experience of parent groups has been excellent and I've made some good friends in the 3 years my eldest has been there. It's hit or miss though I guess, and down to individuals and not attributed to the school.

My eldest is in P3 at GWC, and my youngest starts P1 this year. I had the exact same concerns about the size, but the Lower Primary (nursery to P3) is in one building, Upper Primary (P4-P7) in another, and the Senior School in another although some facilities are shared between them all. Our experience of the school and Lower Primary has been great so far - it feels like a mini school and despite the large numbers of children, it never feels crowded/busy or anonymous. There is a big emphasis on knowing the children individually, and it really does show.
Of course, there is the added benefit of it being a one campus school, something which I'm sure we'll appreciate with more once we start using after school clubs and attend matches/practices at weekends.

Itsme38 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:24:04

Thank you both for your comments. We have visited gwc and gh and liked them both. I have heard that gh is very academic and I worry if my children turn out to be less so they may not achieve their fullest potential. We are actually on waiting list for gwc and have place at gh. Desperate for a place at gwc!

EdinburghPS Thu 09-Feb-17 13:37:56

We are GH and honestly the as academic as the rumours. They are sporty and academic

yoyo1234 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:45:27

EdinburghPS , I am sure it is probably auto correct on your phone but is it "they are as academic as the rumours"?

EdinburghPS Mon 20-Feb-17 23:11:57

I am so sorry for the before message, autocorrect has take over.

They are not as academic as the rumours. They get great marks when it comes to their exams and this makes people think that overall they are an 'academic' school.
Sports is encouraged as are other activities such as drama if that is your child's interest. Any more questions please feel free to PM me

Sametime Tue 21-Feb-17 11:08:09

To be honest, if you are looking for nursery and P1, I would register for places at all three and see what you are offered. The main intake for esms is the preschool year and there are limited P1 places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now