Any thoughts/experiences with Loretto Junior school

(21 Posts)
Fabsmac Thu 29-Dec-16 18:04:30

Hello,
We've just moved back to Edinburgh after being abroad for a few years. My two eldest are 7 and 6 and we are having trouble getting school places, there just aren't any. We will be living Eskbank and after assessments for GW's (who don't have space until August 2017) and no luck with space in the local primary schools, someone mentioned Lorettos to us. I can't find any reviews etc. All I ever seem to find is reviews of the central Edinburgh schools. Thank you smile

EdinburghPS Thu 29-Dec-16 20:46:52

Have you considered Mary Erskine/Stewart Melville?

I have friends with children at Loretto and heard mixed reviews. I don't have any personal experience so can't really comment. However, it's worth going to view it to see how you feel.

Fabsmac Fri 30-Dec-16 09:27:04

Morning,
Thank you so much for that. We are going to see it on 11th, it hesitant now, especially as I ant find any reviews. We have tried everyone else school wise. They all say no spaces or they can take one but not the other 😟 My boys are currently P3 and P2. I have also been told by some schools that P4 isn't an entry year for them, which leaves us a little snookered for the eldest if we can't get anything now. The local schools in Eskbank and out of catchment are full. So it's the waiting list for those until August.

weebarra Fri 30-Dec-16 09:31:02

I live in Eskbank and know someone who sends her P2 son to Loretto. We haven't discussed it in detail but I think she's happy with it.

GrouchyKiwi Fri 30-Dec-16 09:32:07

We've visited Loretto and think it looks great (though have nothing to compare it with as our children aren't school age yet). They have excellent facilities and the teachers seem lovely. One thing we really liked is that at the older ages of the junior school teachers from the senior school take classes like science.

Definitely go visit.

Lones80 Fri 30-Dec-16 16:10:32

I have a child in the early years and am really happy with it. It's a really nurturing environment, big on developing the individual's talents and recognising and celebrating the achievements of others. The class sizes are quite small, which really suits my child and the staff are lovely.

Buckeyedjim Fri 30-Dec-16 16:25:54

There can't be no spaces in any state schools though, the local authority have a responsibility to educate all children and will find them something, though it may not be your catchment and I suppose they may not be together - you would then be on the list to move to catchment school when places come up.

Fabsmac Fri 30-Dec-16 17:39:07

Thank you all, feeling positive about our visit.

catdil Fri 30-Dec-16 19:19:11

P4 and p6 and both larger intake years at Esms.

Inthetown Fri 30-Dec-16 22:12:57

As PP has said the responsibility is on Midlothian council to offer you a school place. I would see what that is before making a decision.

Sametime Sat 31-Dec-16 07:32:53

The other thing to bear in mind is that Loretto seems to be more like Fettes & Merchiston than the other Edinburgh day schools in fee terms especially once they become seniors.

Although P4 may not be a classic entry year, children do move for a variety of reasons and so you may get a place at some stage. If you do want an independent school, then keep in touch with admissions even if your children start somewhere else first as places do come up.

Fabsmac Sat 31-Dec-16 08:57:15

Thank you sametown. I've got my 'pushy' boots on and will be chasing the council again once they open in a few days. In fact im chasing everyone school wise. Thank you all again for the advice/support. I do very much appreciate it

indyandlara Sat 31-Dec-16 16:16:44

We live on your doorstep too! Local schools in the Eskbank/Dalkeith/Bonnyrigg area are all very full and close to capacity. The council will be able to offer you a place for your children but in the local area that probably won't be at the same school at this time in the year. It would be worth asking what the situation is regarding waiting lists though as I presume your 7 year old will be in p3. When he goes into p4 in August there will be 33 not 30 in a class which will free up spaces. Would you be able to juggle 2 separate schools until that point if they were to get a place at the same school in August?

yoyo1234 Sat 31-Dec-16 23:26:04

We could not be happier than we are with Loretto. DC very happy. Small and friendly school. They really do their best to help all the children with their strengths and weaknesses. PM me if any questions.

Fabsmac Mon 09-Jan-17 09:30:05

Thank you Indyandlara, I'm going to down and visit them, the schools. Hopefully we get and idea of what's do able. Thank you agaIn x

Superscooter Sat 11-Feb-17 17:09:46

Hi Fabsmac - Did you visit Loretto? What did you think? We are due to visit in a couple of weeks & I can't find many other opinions on here! Would be grateful for any thoughts.

Fabsmac Sat 11-Feb-17 19:43:48

Hi Superscooter,
We did and our boys joined the Nippers three weeks ago. They love it! We moved back from living abroad so it was a big move for them. They've settled so well, the teachers are fab and the children are just brilliant! Go and have a visit. After our visit the boys went and spent a half day in the school. Are your children in primary or secondary? Any more questions please ask away x

Lones80 Sat 11-Feb-17 23:38:10

I'm glad they are settling in.

Fabsmac Sun 12-Feb-17 09:01:42

Thanks Lones80, it's been amazing.

yoyo1234 Mon 13-Feb-17 00:28:58

So glad they are settling in. We could not think more highly of it. We have found it to be a very friendly, caring and inspiring school. They arrange so many things for the children.

Superscooter Thu 16-Feb-17 12:35:22

Glad your children are happy Fabsmac. My DD is 6 - it sounds like she might be in the same class as one of your children if we decide to move. Could you tell me how many are in the P2 class please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now