Child psychologist or psychiatrist

(4 Posts)
Ramanama Thu 28-Jul-16 11:56:53

Could anyone recommend a private child psychologist or psychiatrist in or near Edinburgh that can test for and diagnose ADD? I would like to get this done soon and I know there is a long wait on the NHS.

eightytwenty Thu 28-Jul-16 13:06:40

If you scroll through the Edinburgh pages there is a recommendation from a long time ago. Catherine someone. Haven't used but know people who have.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 28-Jul-16 17:53:45

this guy was recommended by an ABA therapist I use and trust, but the friend who was asking went down a different route so I have no direct experience. God that's convoluted - someone I trust in the field has recommended this guy, I have no direct experience of them.

That said, as far as I'm aware, a pyschologist can't diagnose. They can write reports suggesting that child A's presentation is extremely similar to a child you'd expect to see with condition Y, but that's not taken as a diagnosis. Don't know if a psychiatrist is different - I think what you actually need is a private pead.

IME of the NHS, when the condition is obvious then it's a quick process - just a case of waiting for a referral. If it's more subtle then it can involve referrals to different docs and clinics and take longer.

Nospringflower Mon 15-Aug-16 10:47:25

Even if you decide to go private it would be worth going to your GP and asking for a referral.

There are waiting list targets now where you have to be seen within 18 weeks - referral to treatment and if your child is diagnosed you are likely to want input from health services so good to be in the system.

Regarding who makes the diagnosis, it can vary and can include psychologists, psychiatrists and paediatricians as long as they have the appropriate qualifications / competencies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now