Newington with a young family?

(4 Posts)
Excitedfor2016 Sat 16-Jan-16 13:08:20

Hi there, we are moving back to Edinburgh this year and are currently looking at properties in a variety of areas. I've read a lot of really helpful threads on the site which ask for advice on which areas to look at, but I haven't seen anyone mention Newington. Does anyone know this area and have any views on what it would be like for a family with young kids? e.g. playgroups/ nurseries/ eateries/ shops. Particularly the Kings Building end of the Sciennes catchment area, towards Cameron Toll. We'll be visiting the area next week to get a feel for it, but thought I'd ask here too to see if anyone has any experiences. What I'm really looking for is somewhere with a village feel like Morningside/ Bruntsfield but with a lower price tag!

catdil Sat 16-Jan-16 14:59:40

Depends where exactly in newington as some areas eg clerk st etc can be quite studenty others are quiet. Problem is these don't have shops which often drives a bit of the community spirit! I wouldn't discount it myself as with house prices ever of the rise families are now in areas that they wouldn't necessarily have been in before.

Excitedfor2016 Wed 20-Jan-16 20:01:28

Thanks catdil - I used to live in the studenty part near st clerk street when i was at uni (and loved it), just don't have much of a sense of what the other end is like! Will have a look around this weekend and see how far I'd have to walk to get a coffee....while I'm at it - do you happen to know anything about Sciennes or Preston St primaries' reputations?

catdil Wed 20-Jan-16 20:36:40

Don't know much about Preston street but sciences has a good rep albeit it is bursting at the seams - like most south Edinburgh schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now