Preteens and summer holidays, used car salesmen to avoid?

(7 Posts)
katypical Fri 03-Jul-15 10:32:48

Hi Mumsnetters! I just arrived here in Edinburgh 4 weeks ago with my family. I'd like to thanks Mumsnet for being such a great resource when I was doing the pre-move research, in terms of areas, schools, etc. My two DDs are 12 and 13 and will be starting at Gillespies in August, and we'll be living in Marchmont shortly after.

Is there a Mumsnet thread or group specifically for preteens and parenting in Edinburgh?

First of all I was wondering if anyone knows of any good places to swap or sell junior fiction? Both DDs are avid readers and have already amassed a pile of books since we arrived (we're a family of bookworms and haven't turned on the telly since we got here).

Also if anyone can suggest any free or cheap activities that are on over the holidays that would be great - having just spent all our $$ getting here and not working full time at the moment, we're going to be staying around Edinburgh over the summer. Most of what's around seems geared to younger children. Hopefully once we buy a car we'll be getting further afield and exploring more of Scotland (On that note, any bad experiences with used car businesses to share?)

You can see I'm just a mess of questions! Sorry everyone. Last question - any older mums out there who are graphic designers?

catdil Fri 03-Jul-15 19:01:21

www.edinburghleisure.co.uk/news/check-out-summer-kids-activities-offer
The meadows free camps are Wednesday's and Fridays at 1400 beside the pavilion.

Eric Liddell centre has a charity bookshop and would happily take your books.
As an aside the Edinburgh bookshop at holy corner does a book group for preteens where they just chat about books they have read or might like to read. It's free and is the first Wednesday of every month at 630 for an hour.

Welcome and one August there will be loads on!

3nationedinburgh Fri 03-Jul-15 19:24:22

Make sure you join your local library, it is free and you can order up books from any library in the city if what you want is not on the shelves of your local library. www.edinburgh.gov.uk/libraries/

3nationedinburgh Fri 03-Jul-15 19:25:54

And of course there is the Book festival which is fantastic for all ages, but unfortunately some of the events take place after the state schools have gone back to school www.edbookfest.co.uk

katypical Fri 03-Jul-15 20:11:04

Thanks everyone! We have joined the local library which has been a great help. The sports sessions at The Meadows look great. I didn't mention before where we came from - Australia. And yes we're looking forward to our first Fringe!

GrooveeCar Sat 04-Jul-15 10:48:08

Library is a great resource.

My dd is 15 and helping out at the church where I run brownies summer camp. But other days will be just spending time with friends. They often spend time in the park or walk into town and have a picnic in Princes Street gardens.

My 12 year old is heading to Ayr to bowl for the Edinburgh West County so he's spending a lot of time at the bowling club.

If you have a car, there are some great country parks to visit.

Welcome to Edinburgh. Once the schools go back you'll find things easier x

GrooveeCar Sat 04-Jul-15 10:48:15

Library is a great resource.

My dd is 15 and helping out at the church where I run brownies summer camp. But other days will be just spending time with friends. They often spend time in the park or walk into town and have a picnic in Princes Street gardens.

My 12 year old is heading to Ayr to bowl for the Edinburgh West County so he's spending a lot of time at the bowling club.

If you have a car, there are some great country parks to visit.

Welcome to Edinburgh. Once the schools go back you'll find things easier x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now