St Thomas of Aquins - insider info?

(9 Posts)
eightytwenty Thu 13-Nov-14 21:51:43

In catchment for St Thomas, and dc baptised (albeit non practicing), however currenty at non denom primary. As a result we don't know any kids who go there currently, or have any of the playground chat that I can get about our non denom catchment secondary school. Does anyone have any dc who go there? Has anyone sent a dc from a non denom primary? Was it difficult to mix at the start of s1? Any feedback about the new head? Thanks.

Sarahlou456 Sun 16-Nov-14 17:40:33

My friends son is in S2, he was not in catchment and has another catholic school closer to his home, he did come from a catholic primary though, he applied to go very late like around the June for starting in the Aug and got in easily enough.

eightytwenty Sun 16-Nov-14 21:13:11

Thanks Sarahlou. Do you know whether he settled easily enough? And what they're making of it so far?

saintursula Tue 18-Nov-14 23:05:05

Hiya - my son is in p7 at a feeder primary at the mo and will be going to St thomas's next year. Lots of my friends have older kids who are already there. All the feedback / playground chat I hear is very positive. Did you go to the open evening recently? The head spoke and sounded good to me - the 6th formers showed us around after and I was very impressed with them and the school and the staff I met. Word on the street is that the jury is still out on the new head as far as the kids themselves are concerned - he's quite strict and apparently has ideas about making some uniform changes they;re not keen on. Sorry can't help on the settling in without many peers front but I imagine that as they'll all be mixed up anwyay that he should be OK. Lastly on ease of access around what sarahlou said I understand that last year there were very few children who out into the school from out of catchment or who were not baptised catholics. The numbers ave got tighter. But you are in the catchement and baptised so will be OK. Hope that helps!

eightytwenty Wed 19-Nov-14 00:18:45

Thanks saintursula. Super helpful info. Funnily enough, I accosted some children on the bus which ds would take to get to school, to ask their opinion. They were very positive about everything apart from the Head's strictness, especially about uniform. They said he was planning to bring blazers back in...

We did go to the open evening and were very impressed, both by the teachers and the pupils. The head seemed a bit west coast brusque and ds thought he looked like Alec Salmond - not a good thing in our house.

But it was the playground gossip that I was missing, so thanks for that.

saintursula Wed 19-Nov-14 22:21:09

Bus accosting - what a good idea! It's funny, innit, the whole blazer thing. I suppose being across the road from Heriots and a stone's throw from Boroughmuir (who have smartened up recently) he's feeling the pressure to smarten up the St T's lot. I have to say it doesn't bother me. I kind of think if they can express themseslves a bit with uniform interpretation what harm does it do. The 6th former who showed my group around was a great girl wearing skinny black trousers with her shirt and tie (which in my book means comfort and at-school-ready-to-work and beats an uber short kilt any day smile ) - she had got 4A's and a B in her highers and was applying to Edinburgh to do civil engineering. Great stuff. I think it's a good school and am happy with my decision.

saintursula Wed 19-Nov-14 22:25:04

other thing I meant to say is ring up mr santini who is in charge of P7/S1 transition (he showed me around last year and I liked him a lot) and ask him about settling in kids from non-feeder primaries - I bet he'll put your mind at rest

eightytwenty Thu 20-Nov-14 14:21:04

That's a great idea. I called the office today and so someone is going to get back to me. I had a few questions which I hadn't asked on the open day - the answers to which were as I'd hoped. It's all pointing that we will choose St Thomas'. Though will be a debate with ds who we took to the non denom high school last night. He of course liked the fact he was touring round with all his friends and that he recognised kids who'd been at his school.

eightytwenty Tue 19-Jan-16 23:11:19

Resurrecting my post in light of the evening news report published today. I'd heard that the head wasn't popular, and don't warm to him myself but it was alarming to hear that the other teachers are also in revolt and that there is little management of bullying. Anyone know anything about the accusations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now