Surgery for a Dental Issue

(4 Posts)
GrooveeCar Wed 03-Sep-14 15:12:05

Has anyone had a child who has an adult tooth in the roof of their mouths, and required to have surgery for it? Our daughter has been referred for surgery and when I asked how long the recovery would be the consultant misheard me as the noise level in the examination area was very loud and told me we would wait 12 weeks! I'm just wondering how long she may need off school and how long she would need a soft food diet for? Thanks in Advance x

tribal Fri 05-Sep-14 22:42:16

My dd had impacted canines, is this similar? While waiting for surgery one came down unaided. She had surgery by general anaesthetic at the sick kids to expose the tooth by cutting away a bit of gum. She was supposed to have a plate fitted to stop the gum from closing up but something went wrong and it didn't fit so they packed it with a bit of gauze and a stitch instead. The following week she went back to the orthodontist who attached a bracket to the canine which was then linked to her brace to "pull" the tooth down. She only had the day of the procedure off school, although I did send her with some ibuprofen to school the next day just in case. I gave her soft food for a couple of days until I found her eating a packet of crisps! I am sure the sick kids made her eat a sandwich before she was allowed to be discharged.
Hope this helps.

GrooveeCar Sat 06-Sep-14 07:20:17

Thanks, I think it is similar. But the tooth can't be pulled through as it's turned 180 degrees, so they plan is to get it out completely. They also told me swelling and bruising would be quite bad so planning arnica and ibuprofen and paracetamol.

There were 3 options but 2 haven't been mentioned since we saw the chief consultant as she needs jaw surgery too.

GrooveeCar Thu 20-Nov-14 10:54:52

My dd had her operation yesterday to remove the tooth. She was last but 25 minutes and she was all done. She's in quite a bit of pain but coping well. I think the build up was harder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now