Private School for Non-Sporty Boy

(8 Posts)
SconeandJam Sat 01-Feb-14 01:03:18

We are wondering about sending our son to private school for secondary but have no experience of the independent sector. We do know a couple of primary children who go to Mary Erskine, these girls love the school and performing arts is their thing, which is not really relevant to us. Our son seems clever and is so keen to learn but seems under stretched at school which is why we are contemplating a move. He is not keen on team sports which do seem important to of all the schools. Where might he fit in best?

Eman83 Sat 01-Feb-14 22:06:05

Have you went to view any of the schools? If it's academics your looking for GH is very good.
GW has a good name also as well as having a great name for sports

Taz1212 Sun 02-Feb-14 09:41:37

DS is at GW and whilst it is very big on sport, DH is not sporty at all (he swims but he's not competitive at all and doesn't like team sports) and he loves the school! I think non sporty children can fit in there very well - it's a large school and there's something for everyone so kids can find their own niche.

GH is also excellent and I wouldn't worry about a non sporty child attending there either. You are best going for a visit- the open days are in the autumn just before applications are due.

Taz1212 Sun 02-Feb-14 09:42:40

Sorry, DS not DH is not at all sporty! DH is sporty but that's not relevant here! grin

SconeandJam Sun 02-Feb-14 14:21:47

Thanks for the reassurance!

The parents of boys I know at private schools are all sporty types and so rave about the sports. (I don't know any Edinburgh parents well enough to really ask for opinions about what would suit my little bookworm wink.) I find those sorts of conversations excruciating in real life, hence this post.

I am going to visit on the open days.

3nationedinburgh Sun 02-Feb-14 20:24:23

Have a look at Merchiston. Merchiston Although it has a great reputation for rugby there are lots of boys who do other non team sports like swimming, climbing, ski-ing, badminton golf and tennis. However, there are also lots of options for music, drama, cookery, chess, STEM/Science club, art, Cadets, debating and loads more. They really treat the boys as individuals and in class sizes of around 12 in the junior school there is individual attention for those needing extra support or extra stretching, and nowhere to hide for clever but lazy boys like my DS! It is much smaller than GW or GH and has a much more family type feel which is also engendered by the boarding element of the school which gets more prevalent as they get older. Do PM me if you want more info. The next information morning is on 15 March but they are very open to private visits anytime.

Chrysanthemum5 Sun 02-Feb-14 20:29:39

I'd agree with the others. Most of the schools are keen in sports but they also offer great drama, art, music etc. personally I'd visit and see which school feels right to you. Also consider the logistics - which one would suit you best in terms if where it is etc.

Sallygoround Tue 04-Feb-14 22:13:16

I think it depends on whether your ds is indifferent about sport, or actively dislikes it. My two ds are at Stewarts Melville (Mary Erskine is the associated girls school). Neither are terribly sporty, but they don't dislike it. Ds 1 is very musical/arty and has done very well in this area, Ds2 is more academic and is being kept very busy!

Team sport of some sort is compulsory for a number of years, starting in a minor way in P4 (i think!). However, in recent years, hockey has been offered to the boys as an alternative to rugby, and the school fields a lot of rugby teams (4 a year sounds about right) so anyone that really wants a game is likely to get one.

I'd second what everyone says about going to have a look though, it's the only way to get a real feel for it. Ultimately we chose the school because we felt that the children seemed properly happy and comfortable in their surroundings.

As an afterthought, because you mentioned your son is a bookworm, if you do go and visit, make sure you look in at the library. The SMC librarian is fantastic- really dedicated to getting boys reading and keeping them engaged. He organises lads and dads author nights- he also has a blogwww.literatureforlads.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now