What's North Berwick like?

(9 Posts)
ificouldbeacamera Wed 28-Dec-11 17:16:37

Dh and I have been 'discussing' for years whether to move somewhere smaller. We've been city dwellers since uni, but I'd like to bring up the kids somewhere smaller.

Dh has been resistant to moving, but is now keen on N Berwick as we both love seaside places. Would love some opinions on what it's like to live there. And what the schools are like. Also, wondering whether we'd actually get the kids into school there - they are pretty full from what I've heard.

thank you!

bridgeandbow Wed 28-Dec-11 17:26:39

It's nice but expensive. You would need to have a chat with east Lothian council re places. For p1 next year you would need to move pronto- definitely before they do the out of catchment allocations in about march time. Dunbar would also be worth considering

ificouldbeacamera Wed 28-Dec-11 19:01:03

Thanks, bridgeandbow. We have a house to sell here, plus we're still umming and ahhing about whether to move, so I think it unlikely we could move quickly.

Ds due to start P1 next year, dd in P3, so I guess I should phone council to find out if we'd ever get offered places at school if we moved after P1 start.

We did think about Dunbar a while ago, but I find N Berwick more appealing. How is it for incomers? Is it a welcoming type place? Anything arty going on? (Dh and I are both into book groups and all that jazz).

bridgeandbow Wed 28-Dec-11 19:23:11

Sorry don't live there!

Just know that when we moved last year council were ok about us missing p1 enrolment in nov. we were advised that catchment place could be pretty much guarenteed until they started giving them away iyswim. I would phone council to see. P1 this year was a nightmare capacity probs all across Edinburgh. Might change if p2 not limited to 25 (which IMO would be very bad) but would open up spaces later...

bridgeandbow Wed 28-Dec-11 19:25:03

Are you near the city centre? You can still get the village feel within the city limits. We have!

ificouldbeacamera Thu 29-Dec-11 16:54:06

We are pretty near the city centre, bridgeandbow. Whereabouts are you, if you don't mind me asking? Where is that village feel? We did look a bit into living in Colinton a while ago, as we liked the idea of living near the Pentlands. However, I think a small town would suit us better.

I love where we live, but I struggle with the idea of the dc growing up somewhere so busy. I can't ever imagine letting them out on their bikes, for example.

Raffiiscool Thu 29-Dec-11 17:10:43

I too think there are villagy areas in edinburgh.

I think that Davidson mains and crammond have the village feel. Juniper green, balerno and currie do to. All have fab schools which are at capacity though.

Being that bit out of town makes for the more community feeling that you might be after.

liath Thu 29-Dec-11 21:52:06

I grew up there and it was a fantastic place to live, popping down to the beach whenever we fancied. The primary school was excellent, as far as I know it is still good and I believe the high school has a reasonable reputation. My mum always described it as like living in a middle class ghetto!! One drawback was the haar, which rolled in within a couple of days whenever we got any decent weather.

Katie45 Wed 12-Aug-15 14:49:57

Hi, I wonder whetherificouldbeacamera did move! I did and we have been here 3 years now and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the UK now. It is just the most beautiful place and I pinch myself every day that I live here.

To answer the above questions - the schools are fab, infact the High School made the top 10 best non-fee paying schools in the UK (the only scottish school to make it!).

Areas to stay in NB - to be honest you can't really go wrong. No matter where you are you are only 10 mins away from the other side of NB. On my future wishlist would be Ben Sayers Park and Rhodes Park as they are both safe family estates with paths directly to beach, also its difficult to find any cul-de-sacs in North Berwick so these are perfect. I would favour Ben Sayers Park but this is a small estate and houses rarely come up. I would avoid the new cala houses as there is much animosity in the village about these so you wouldn't want to get off on the wrong foot with your fellow villagers! Stair Park also nice but long walk to beach. If you can afford a beach front property - go for it! I will be very envious though! :-)

The beaches are just to die for and there is always something going on in the village, the people are just so lovely and the atmosphere is amazing.
Yes, it is pricey - infact we downsized to move here but I would do it again in a heartbeat - it is worth every penny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now