AIBU to be unable to plan a route through my own city?

(6 Posts)
thesurgeonsmate Mon 17-Oct-11 22:07:25

DH asked me to meet him on a certain street today, and I was whining away on the phone saying I didn't know which way to go and asking which streets we were avoiding and was I allowed to use certain turns. Would a reasonable driver make more mental effort to keep up with the Council's frivolities? Or is the puny approach justified by the extraordinary circumstances?

CatherinaJTV Mon 17-Oct-11 23:07:21

tehehe - took a couple of taxis today and the taxi drivers were cussing about the street works and they are professionals!

Groovee Tue 18-Oct-11 09:11:59

My hubby is self employed and has to visit numerous customers each day and is fed up at the amount of streets which are closed or held up with traffic lights. It does my head in too as I have to attend the western weekly just now and a usual 20 min drive is taking around 45 mins these days :-(

AMumInScotland Tue 18-Oct-11 09:28:30

At the start of every week I face a "voyage of discovery" as I find out where the routes are this week. Sometimes they seem to change them midweek as well. I don't think anyone can keep track of where they all are, though there are websites which show the current restrictions.

Luckily I've taken most of the possible routes in to work at different times, and I just have to wriggle round till I get there. But I don't think anyone could expect you to work it out!

thesurgeonsmate Tue 18-Oct-11 10:16:01

My first AIBU and I'm not BU! I'm ready for the big boards now...

ratspeaker Wed 19-Oct-11 12:10:27

I drove through the centre of town for the first time in months last week.
It was pure hell
Luckily DD1 was navigator so we got where we wanted to go
But even avoiding the centre there seems to logic to the sudden roadworks that appear everywhere, then the no left turn if you're not a bus, no right turn if you're not a taxi etc etc
and I'm not even mentioning the tram fiasco.

And even if I'd used the buses I have no idea of where the stops will be and if certain bus stops will be in use DH was at his usual stop the other day and the bus went past without even slowing

Then add in Mondays flooding...

goes to quietly gibber in a corner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now