anyone been on the Bo'ness railway Christmas special?

(6 Posts)
fairylights Wed 12-Oct-11 10:04:31

I know my ds would love this and I've heard it gets v booked up but just wondering if its really worth the money (I am stingey and we don't have much spare cash anyway!). Let me know if you've been on it and what you thought. Cheers! smile

Groovee Wed 12-Oct-11 10:39:03

I've not been on it but friends have and they were always moaning it was cold. We always did the Barge at Ratho Canal Centre on the Santa Cruise. We had a great time every time on it.

OwlMother Wed 12-Oct-11 18:28:13

My parents used to take us as kids and they now take my three dc. It is cold, but there are people singing carols on the train, and mince pies and reindeer antler hats and satsumas and the atmosphere is lovely. My parents tend to opt for the earliest train of the day as the later ones can mean that the station gets very busy as the train empties and refills. They aren't going this year as ds1 is 11 and has been for the last ten years but they always loved it!!

fairylights Wed 12-Oct-11 21:02:15

thanks smile think we will have to go with trains rather than barges as that is where ds's obsession lies but that sounds fun! And at least we know to wrap up warm! Is it cold because its not covered or just an old train?!
cheers smile

OwlMother Thu 13-Oct-11 09:06:00

Think it's because it's an old train Might be something to do with the fact that I think they are carriages dating from diesel locomotive times, not steam and so might have drawn some power for heat from the engine (this is total hypothesis!) Carriages are covered so you won't get wet or windswept. Have a lovely time!

daisydiamond Mon 17-Oct-11 21:24:12

It is a great experience, what you expect Christmas to be. It is cold though and you can go out for a wee walk while they change the engine round for the return journey so make sure you have 'stout' footwear on. Lol. Santa is good and happy to have pics, they try to match pressies to age of dc's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now