nuchal fold scan

(13 Posts)
peeoffkitty Thu 15-Sep-11 17:00:40

I'm newly pregnant grin and plan to go for the nuchal scan. Last time I was pregnant, around 2 years ago now, I went to Healthcare Now on Stafford Street but I can't get hold of them. Are they no longer around? Can anyone recommend anywhere else to get this done?

thanks

tiokiko Thu 15-Sep-11 17:13:59

You will get the nuchal scan & blood test on the NHS now - it was introduced in January this year. There's a central number you call for Midwifery services (you can get this from your GP surgery) and they'll book you in for your first MW appt and also book your nuchal scan at 12 weeks.

If you specifically want to go private there are other places you can get it done - I know the Edinburgh Clinic on Colinton Road does it.

peeoffkitty Thu 15-Sep-11 17:19:02

brilliant, save me some cash! Obviously healthcare now has gone out of business. I thought the nuchal scan needed to be around 10/11 weeks? Not got my GP appointment til next week, hopefully there's not an enormous wait! thanks tiokiko for a speedy response!

tiokiko Thu 15-Sep-11 17:53:33

No, it's 11-14 weeks but bear in mind that's from the date of your last period rather than when you think you conceived!

You don't generally need to see a GP to be referred for MW and scan, I just got the number from the GP receptionist. I was v impressed, had my MW booking in appt and scan booked when I was only 6w - I hadn't realised it would all get done so quickly. It means you will have more choice of dates and times which might be of use.

Congratulations BTW!

tiokiko Thu 15-Sep-11 17:56:01

Just found the number - it's 0131 536 2009 (am assuming you're in Lothian?)

peeoffkitty Thu 15-Sep-11 19:21:02

thanks so much. I called my GP earlier and asked specifically if I needed to see a doctor or if I could just see the midwife instead and she said that i definitely needed to see the doctor first. How annoying! I'm in Edinburgh.

tiokiko Thu 15-Sep-11 19:57:51

I guess different practices do it different ways - when I was pregnant with DD I went to the GP (in England) and he was so dismissive and uninterested, we were in and out in about 90 seconds and just told to make a MW appt at reception.

So this time round (back in Edin) I checked first and was just given the number to call, have never seen my GP at all since moving here, just MW-led care all the way through so far.

Hope you have a good appointment and get your scan date soon.

peeoffkitty Thu 15-Sep-11 20:14:03

sounds familiar! I had my DD in London and was in and out of hospital in less than 12 hours. Quick turnaround! thanks for the info.

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Thu 15-Sep-11 22:13:22

I went to Healthcare now for mine 3 years ago and really didn't like the sonographer. I was delighted this time to find that it was available on the Nash. The other thing that's changed since my first pregnancy is the fact that 20 week scans are now available on the NHS.

ChocChipWine Thu 15-Sep-11 22:29:56

I am in edinburgh too and there are signs in chemists and the surgery saying go to the midwife not the doctor. Which is what I did last year when I was pregnant. I would try to get the MW number if I was you.

BeeMyBaby Sat 17-Sep-11 06:09:41

When I phoned up the gp reception they also said I would need to see the GP who would then refer me to the MW.

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Sat 17-Sep-11 07:08:43

That's certainly how it works in my practice as well.

hepcat Sat 22-Oct-11 22:05:50

Just to say that if you do need to go private for any reason, Dr Calderwood at the Edinburgh Clinic is excellent. She did my scan recently and she spent loads of time looking at everything- really set my mind at ease. Comes at a cost of course but I was being paranoid given my age (over 40) and wanted to make sure it was done in the right timescale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now