Silver Strawberry Nursery gone downhill dramatically-wouldn't recommend

(9 Posts)
bundaddy Fri 09-Sep-11 14:04:03

hi all,

we are pulling our daughter out of silver strawberry in queen street, edinburgh.
it has had a huge staff turnover in recent months,all of the decent ones are gone.
several i spoke to were about to qualify and they were told they could not be guaranteed a job! (instead they get young, unqualified, minimum wage girls in)
this is obviously not good for continuity of care, never mind the fact that not a single one of them working there had a child !

the nursery has yet another new manageress as of the last few weeks, and is quite literally half staffed by agency workers.
this morning when i dropped off our daughter there was rubbish all over the basement level (literally right next to the kitchen),it's like they just don't care.
the rubbish has been an issue before (food waste aswell) and the previous management took literally weeks to clear it, yet it's back.

their care commission report from 27/6/11 is nothing short of disastrous (all 1's and 2's, the lowest grades).

link here: http://tiny.cc/yn9j1

our daughter has been there for a few years and it really has gone downhill dramatically since my post about them in april when i praised the staff, so glad to be getting her out of there.the staff make a nursery, and all the decent ones have gone!

as you can probably tell, i am so unhappy with this, you want the best for your child and you see things slipping it's easy to think things will improve, but they have just got worse and worse.

bundaddy

bundaddy Fri 09-Sep-11 14:48:43

edit: there are also several times we have picked our daughter up and she has a dirty nappy, which has obviously been that way for a while. this is often when there are only a couple of kids left at the end of the day, no excuse really.
one time a month ago we picked her up and she couldnt even walk properly as her bottom was so sore, we have told the nursery a load of times to please use cream and they rarely do. her bottom and tops of her legs were bright red and she was wailing, i really was unhappy about this (as was she!)

kaumana Fri 09-Sep-11 21:21:54

Didn't want to read and run, sorry you have had such a bad experience, I hope you have found a place for your daughter where you'll feel she'll be happy.

LemonDifficult Fri 09-Sep-11 21:24:11

That's horrendous about the nappy sores. Poor thing. Are you happy with the nursery you've chosen for her next?

Groovee Fri 09-Sep-11 21:32:43

I'd make a complaint to the care commission regarding the care of your daughter.

legobuilder Tue 13-Sep-11 19:59:03

well all i can say is thank goodness i didn't use silver strawberry! i reserved her a place and paid the £75, but at the last minute (back in february) a place came up at newtown nursery in dean terrace. while i'd heard mixed reviews about it, i honestly cannot question the care of my daughter, she always comes out clean and happy, and settled in reaaly quickly too. so sorry to hear of your experience, good luck choosing somewhere new.

bundaddy Wed 14-Sep-11 23:26:27

i contacted the care commision the other day re: the piles of rubbish which were piled up in the outside basement area of silver strawberry.piles of it,some bagged, some spilling out of bags (including food waste) right next to the kitchen!!
i contacted the new manageress about it at the time and received an email saying that she was aware of it and had contacted head office in glasgow and was awaiting permission to get a skip which would take ten days or so !!
i mean come on......bag it and take it to the tip, it's a serious health issue, absolutely unbelievable.
sums it all up right there, i'm afraid.
oh yes and they also say they are not giving us back our £100 deposit which we paid for the place, as they say this was with the previous owners! surely when you buy a business, you buy the debts etc.
anyhoo, glad to not be going back there and new nursery is ten times better, much happier there thanks.
thanks

BrawToken Wed 14-Sep-11 23:41:26

How awful. I would complain to scswis which is the new name for the care commission.

Agree with Lego both my kids have gone to New Town (one still there) and we love it. They have a great manager and a pretty static team of (mostly young, but well qualified) staff, who work very hard. So, if you are looking for a new nursery, you could do a lot worse than use this one.

BrawToken Wed 14-Sep-11 23:42:51

Sorry bundaddy, I see you have a new nursery. Hope it goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now