Another primary school thread.............Pentland Primary?

(9 Posts)
meep Sun 04-Sep-11 15:14:29

We're in the process of selling our flat and looking to buy our family home.

I know all the talked about "good" primaries - but what is Pentland like? I never hear it mentioned - and it covers Fairmilehead/Comiston where there is a lot of affordable houses.

Anyone got any experience?

Groovee Mon 05-Sep-11 16:08:36

I know the staff is a fairly happy one and numerous friends have liked the nursery and the school.

scotgirl Mon 05-Sep-11 16:57:44

Going from reputation only, in that area Buckstone gets a good reputation and most importantly feeds to Bourghmuir secondary. Housing pretty affordable. Don't forget to research secondary's when looking at primary schools. No point going to good primary is the secondary is rubbish!

The other area is the Currie, Balerno corridor. Both the High schools are good and housing is more affordable too.

meep Mon 05-Sep-11 20:01:30

thanks both

Groovee - that sounds good

Pentland feeds into Firhill which I would be happy with as a secondary (the secondary for our local primary is why we are moving from our current catchment).

scotgir - I have my eye on a couple of houses in Balerno - so that is good news!

Buckstone is also on my wishlist - just haven't seen any houses in the catchment that suit - but am keeping my eyes open!

bubbles321 Sun 11-Sep-11 20:01:58

Anyone got experience or views on Colinton/oxgangs primaries. I know Bonaly overscribed for those not in catchment. Wanting to investigate the nearby options before house move.

Groovee Sun 11-Sep-11 22:00:11

My friend's only complaint about Colinton was that it was full of army kids all from the same battalion and when the battalion moves the children all leave leaving the small amount who are left until the new children arrive. It's unsettled her son having his friends move so often.

thejaffacakesareonme Mon 12-Sep-11 19:25:58

Oxgangs gets a fairly good reputation. All I know about Colinton is that some of the parents who live in the catchment area choose to look at other schools (Oxgangs, Pentland) precisely because it is an army school. And many of them are army parents. Pentland and Buckstone both have a good reputation.

Nospringflower Tue 13-Sep-11 22:52:30

I know a few people with children at oxgangs pc and they are really happy with it.

meep Wed 14-Sep-11 18:50:24

good to hear about Oxgangs as well - there are some nice houses in Craiglockhart which is in that catchment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now