Lost Teddy Bear-Marchmont/Sciennes area-Friday 18th August

(12 Posts)
yawningbear Sun 21-Aug-11 09:59:20

We have lost DD's special bear, he is so important and I can't believe that he is gone, not sure who is more devastated to be honest! My sister had bought the bear when she was pregnant with her first child who is now 18. Her DD never really bonded with Teddy so when I had DD he was passed onto her and she has become hugely attached to him. I think he must have been put into the basket under the buggy and fallen out whilst we were out on Friday morning. We were in the Marchmont area, Sciennes &Causewayside and the Meadows though I think he must already have fallen out by then. I have told DD that Teddy has gone on holiday. I know this is a really, really long shot but just thought I would post in case anyone has seen him. He is a lightbrown, traditional teddy bear, who has been very well loved. Am wondering what else I can do to try and find it, have put up posters locally, and retraced our steps. DD is so sad, and I feel awful sad.

yawningbear Sun 21-Aug-11 19:53:11

Well someone called to say that they had seen the bear on Chalmers Crescent, outside no 12 or 14, on Friday morning but that they had been back to look for it after seeing the posters but that it is no longer there. So we are now even more gutted! Am going to put up more posters and try and speak to folk in case anyone took the bear in but seems more likely that it wasn't someone local to the area. Lots of meter parking spaces on that road sad sad

Bellebelle Sun 21-Aug-11 19:54:35

Just wanted to say that I know exactly how you feel, we thought we'd lost DD1's teddy earlier this year (we thought we'd lost him while outside but happily for us it turned out that our cat had squirreled him away under our bed) and it was awful. I cried every night about it, partly because I was so sad for DD but also because I was so attached to him. I really hope that you find him, we will look out for him and I'll let everyone I know in the area about the bear hunt.

yawningbear Mon 22-Aug-11 08:41:10

Ahh, thankyou Bellebelle, I feel a bit daft and know I probably need to get a grip but he is just so special. We have lived overseas so although DD is only 2.8 he is really well travelled and would just go everywhere with us. I am so cross with myself that I have lost him. We took DD to J Lewis yesterday and she chose a lovely rabbit who is distracting her just now but I overheard her talking to it earlier and telling it how much she missed Teddy, very very hard not to burst into tears when I heard that! Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could perhaps put an advert. I am going to go and try and speak to neighbours on Chalmers Crescent and put up more posters in the local area but I am thinking that it is probably someone who is not local who has taken him. We do get lots of folk parking around here when they are visiting the Sick Kids Hospital so I will put a poster up there but I am thinking I need to do something that could reach more people. Am thinking maybe the Metro or Evening News? Or is that just ridiculous?!!

pippitysqueakity Mon 22-Aug-11 11:11:41

Have you put it on FB? Sometimes that can catch people's attention.
Good luck!

Bellebelle Mon 22-Aug-11 23:11:05

It's worth emailing the Evening News, I remember doing searches on their website and found a couple of stories of people trying to find lost bears, think they were offering a cash reward though (the people looking, not the paper). If I were you I would speak to people in Chalmers Crescent, I know there's part of you which will feel a bit silly but the very worst that will happen is that people will think you're a bit mad! Is it worth checking in with Stepping Stones nursery which is on that street incase someone handed the bear in there? Sick Kids is worth checking with too, lots of people there who appreciate how attached children are to cuddly toys, he might be in their lost property. I would ask the local shops to put posters up if they are willing too, I know you think that someone who isn't local will have taken him but surely someone who wanted to take it for another child would have an understanding of how much he might mean to the child who lost him and wouldn't take him too far away IYSWIM?

People do put bears they have found up on FB and also set up pages for ones they are looking for so agree it's worth a look.

Your DD telling her rabbit how much she misses teddy brought tears to my eyes so I'm not surprised you almost burst in to tears. At least she's forming an attachment to the new toy though if she's talking to it.

I really hope you find him.

yawningbear Wed 24-Aug-11 09:56:32

Thankyou Bellebelle and pippitysqueakity, really appreciate your replies and just wanted to let you know that we have been reunited with him - woohoooo grin grin. I put notes through all the doors on Chalmers Crescent and someone had taken him in. She had been worried a drunk person would steal him so he had been living it up for the weekend. DD was totally delighted, although cannot be persuaded that Teddy should now go into retirement and remain under house arrest. The thought of going through that stress again is horrendous. He needs to be tagged. Am now contemplating setting up a lost and found service for stray bears. Have just had a text from someone who had seen my posters about a bear in a blue jumper, last seen near Toast in Marchmont, just in case anyone is looking for him wink Thanks again.

crazycarol Wed 24-Aug-11 17:04:03

That is great news! There are some lovely people about.

Bellebelle Wed 24-Aug-11 21:52:26

You're news has made my day, I'm so happy for you both! I knew a kind person would have him smile

Bellebelle Wed 24-Aug-11 21:53:17

Your not you're - was too excited to be grammatically correct!

naptrel Thu 25-Aug-11 01:56:16

Nice news indeed. A couple of years ago, we spent quite some time scouring the west end for 'stripey mouse': a less happy ending. I've noticed there's been a baby's crochet blanket hanging on posts/railings for a couple of days on the east end of Sciennes road.

pippitysqueakity Sat 27-Aug-11 08:29:11

Great news, so pleased for you and DD.
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now