Best place for tea and cake / afternoon tea?

(12 Posts)
Geordieminx Wed 10-Aug-11 10:46:43

Heading across for the west ffor fringe and was thinking about a spot of tea. Central location as we'll be parking at castle terrace and heading to see Stick Man
TIA

PamSco Wed 10-Aug-11 16:49:58

I've had afternoon tea with champagne at the Tower Restaurant - up at the museum. Very very nice.

scotgirl Wed 10-Aug-11 17:02:13

Why not park on the street in Marchmont (£1.40 an hour, max 4 hours I think) walk up Middle Meadow Walk and go to Peter's Yard on the way. Great coffee - I have been loads in the last few weeks. If busy, they have a takeaway round the back - but you can still sit outside there too. 5 minutes from Stickman too.

Also on middle meadow walk is a Sainsburys, so you can grab some sandwiches after the show and then make a detour to the great playpark at the east end of the meadows before getting back in the car - it will be hoaching though!

That is what we did and it worked well!

Geordieminx Wed 10-Aug-11 18:27:53

Ooh might have a look at doing that. Is there much else to do/see around that way?

rookiemater Wed 10-Aug-11 18:30:52

The Balmoral is best for atmosphere, they have a harpist if you are going on a Sat afternoon, wonderful food at the Sheraton afternoon tea

scotgirl Wed 10-Aug-11 19:21:53

Not much else except the Meadows. If you want the whole Royal Mile/Mound festival atmosphere you are better off with your original plan of parking at Castle terrace. I've been in town a lot recently so am all atmosphered (aka navigating round masses of tourists!!) out grin

Not too sure of good places in town/ High Street - I always seem to end up in crap places!

Personally I think when it is this busy you are better off getting a takeaway from M&S and decamping to the Gardens! (btw M&S have a hot takeaway with burgers, good coffee etc in the Princes Street basement!)

Graciescotland Wed 10-Aug-11 19:28:24

The howard (Newtown) do a lovely afternoon tea. City centre the best tea in the world is to be found at Tea Tree Tea on Bread Street just off of Lothian Road.

highriggs Wed 10-Aug-11 19:35:12

Signet library has a pop up champagne bar serving high tea and glass of champers for two people for £9.00 . Went there today and was lovely. It is signet library in parliament square. If you go to their website just download what is called VIP card to get the discount. A haven of peace on the high street.

highriggs Wed 10-Aug-11 19:37:50

Should have said it is just next st giles

highriggs Wed 10-Aug-11 19:40:14

Ah scream it was £9.00 each not £9.00 for two people

Groovee Thu 11-Aug-11 09:46:51

Loopy Lorna's at the Church Hill Theatre in Morningside, you can get a bus from Lothian Road

Graceee Thu 11-Aug-11 19:58:27

I love chocolate tree on Brunsfield Pl, across the Meadows.They have fantastic cakes too-I used for my wedding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now