Edinburgh festival - recommendations/your reviews of kids shows please

(31 Posts)
fairylights Sun 07-Aug-11 09:18:05

I am starting this thread in the hope that people will recommend things to go and see smile
I remember last year there was a thread where people recommended things they had seen/said what to avoid which looked really helpful.
My dc are 4.5 and 2 so any specific recommendations for their age would be great but obviously do share your ideas on any and all shows smile

pippitysqueakity Sun 07-Aug-11 09:23:07

Sorry if repeating myself, but Hairy Maclairy great, as was Greek Myths for Kids at College of art. Am going to see Grimms Fairy Tales and Tiny Dickens this week, so will let you know. Mt DD's are 6 and 7.

AitchTwoOh Sun 07-Aug-11 09:26:13

DEFINITELY stick man at udderbelly, we went last year and it was utterly magical. we are thinking of going again, it was that good.

fairylights Sun 07-Aug-11 09:39:17

actually, I should recommend The Man Who Plants Trees, as I know the people who are doing it! It is a show for age 7+ so I haven't seen it as my kids are too young but I know a lot of people who have seen it and loved it.

fairylights Sun 07-Aug-11 09:45:47

Would a (just) 2 year old appreciate Stick man Aitch? The program that I have says the age range is 0-1 which I think must be a printing mistake!

midnightexpress Sun 07-Aug-11 09:51:23

We're off to Hairy McClairy and 'The King's Got Donkey's Ears' later this week so will mark my place and report back. Has anyone been to the 5-minute 'The Incredible Book-Eating Boy' at the Pleasance? Was thinking of trying to squeeze that in too, but won't bother if it's not worth the schlep. DC are 4 and 5.

AitchTwoOh Sun 07-Aug-11 10:07:52

heheh. well dd wasn't quite yet two last year when we saw it and was transfixed. we had a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a nearly 2, and it was great. it's a very rhythmic, musical, bobbing up and down kind of show iykwim so the little ones always have something to take their attention. and the finale has everyone gasping. won't spoil it for you, though. wink

fairylights Sun 07-Aug-11 10:24:57

great, thanks! smile

AitchTwoOh Sun 07-Aug-11 12:38:05

do get the book if you don't have it, they will want it by the time they come out anyway...

AnneinEdinburgh Sun 07-Aug-11 13:33:21

Snow Play at Pleasance was great (with a nearly 4 year old DS), Hairy McLairy, Mole who knew it was none of his business, Stickman all good last year, and Peter Pan on Dinosaur Island left me totally cold this year but my DS loved it and wants to go again (groan) - lots of kid participation, dinosaur costumes, everyone got swords to fight the TRex and dinosaur poo to lob at Captain Hook so who cares whether Mum enjoyed it or not (though I do draw the line at going again!) :-)

tiokiko Sun 07-Aug-11 17:39:30

Stick Man is fantastic, DD is 2.8 and loved it, would definitely take her again next year or anything else by the same people.

Hairy Maclary also good, try to sit in the middle though, we were at the side and it wasn't a great view.

Enormous Turnip was good too, interactive stuff for the kids to do (helping water the seeds, pull the turnip up etc). I thought it dragged a wee bit but DD loved it - heartbroken when she had to give sunglasses back at the end though!

scotgirl Mon 08-Aug-11 21:13:51

See, I thought Stickman was a bit slow and dragged out - lots of fidgeting kids at my show. Would suit 3+ I would say.

Hairy Mclary, though in a bigger venue, had a lot more energy about it and my kids (3 & 5) enjoyed it better.

Neither were outstanding though (in my opinion!!)

I went on the preview/ 2 for 1 days - would have felt a bit ripped off to pay nearly £40 for the 4 of us to go and see them otherwise!

AitchTwoOh Mon 08-Aug-11 23:38:14

how mad, slow and dragged-out would be the last way i'd describe that show... horses for courses i guess.

pippitysqueakity Tue 09-Aug-11 16:42:35

Tiny Dickens today was good too. Actually, just enjoy live theatre I think, and happy to be sharing it with my DD's

Bibbit Tue 09-Aug-11 18:30:34

I saw Greek myths for kids today at the art college. It was great , very child centred, my two 5 and unders loved it. And we especially liked the kids seating area at the front on blankets on the floor. No adults hogging the front two rows at this show - take note Stickman audience. (And no they didn't all come with a child.)

Pinkx3 Thu 11-Aug-11 14:06:25

Went to see Seussical the Musical Jr on Monday and it was very good. My two (7 & nearly 3) thouroughly enjoyed it. Great for all Dr Seuss fans!

maggiethecat Thu 11-Aug-11 16:54:45

Shows sound great but sound like many are geared to very young. I have 8yo and almost 5yo and would like to see few shows that both can enjoy. Anyone seen Tim and Light?

midnightexpress Thu 11-Aug-11 17:29:33

Went to Hairy McClairy this morning - my two enjoyed it (4 and 5), even though they didn't know all of the stories they included.

We also saw 'The King's Got Donkey's Ears' at the Storytelling Centre this afternoon - would really recommend it - completely magical, also clever and funny. very very well done. The age range is 4+ and there were quite a few older than my two who seemed to be enjoying it enormously.

maggiethecat Thu 11-Aug-11 19:00:13

Thanks Midnight - just booked it. Dd will be 8 on Sunday and thought we'd take her out for a show. We've just moved from London so she won't have usual party. Hope she likes it.

We will probably take in a few other shows before school starts and younger one particularly likes maclary so will try for that.

Would really like to hear if anyone's seen Tim and Light - sounds good but will hold off booking until I find out a bit more.

midnightexpress Thu 11-Aug-11 20:23:17

Maggie, have you seen the Lovefringe website? People go on there and review shows so worth checking out before you book too perhaps?

Welcome to Scotland too. Hope your DC are settling in OK. Do they start school next week? Can't believe how quickly it's come around.

monkeycat Thu 11-Aug-11 21:15:34

We have been to see Stickman (saw it last year and we all enjoyed it so much that we went again this year !) DDs are 6 1/2 and almost 3 and they both loved it . DD2 was killing herself laughing and she's actually pretty discerning in what she'll watch - will not be plonked in front of cbeebies for an hour .

We also went to Hairy Mclary which most children loved and were very involved with - DD2 found it to be a bit loud and was scared of Scarface Claw ( well , he IS the toughest tom in town wink ).

Some of the skintight dog costumes were a little alarming too , but more so for the mums than the kids shock

This week we went to Mr Benn . The group putting this on (Tall Stories ) are always very good - in the past they have done The Gruffalo , Room on the Broom and Twinkle Twonkle . This was a very good quality production - I loved it and my 6 year old and her friend really enjoyed it too. DD2 was a little on the young side but happily sat through it and has talked about it a lot afterwards .

We had a picnic in the Pleasance courtyard after the Mr Benn show and the girls were delighted to see the Mr Benn performers - including Mr Benn himself - handing out flyers , and the performers chatted to the children really nicely .

We have been watching episodes of Mr Benn on youtube ever since , which is a great rainy day activity smile

monkeycat Thu 11-Aug-11 21:20:17

Back again , sorry .

Maggiethecat - there were lots of older kids at Mr Benn who seemed to be enjoying it .

I also tend to only go to shows when it is the preview or a 2 for 1 otherwise it all adds up very quickly .

If anyone has a chance to see any 'grown up' shows I would reccomend Rich Hall . He was extremely funny .

fairylights Thu 11-Aug-11 22:46:05

Went to see The List Operators for Kids do Compooters today - it was brilliant! ds is 4.9 and they say its for 5+ which would be about right, i think it would probably especially appeal to boys - there is LOTS of poo/wee/fart gags but done in a way that is pretty entertaining for grown ups too.. well I was laughing my head off blush. And ds howled with laughter the whole way through, it was so brilliant to see him so engaged with it smile
There were kids age about 3 - teenagers there and everyone seemed entertained and there was a great atmosphere even though only half full (particularly torrential downpour going on just before it started, have heard its been fuller on other days).
Would definitely recommend it anyway.

maggiethecat Thu 11-Aug-11 23:50:43

Will check out Lovefringe, Midnight. Girls are doing ok considering the weather which has slowed us down a bit but then there is much to do around the house and they have been helping. Funny thing is that they have had to get on with entertaining themselves quite a bit and they've been doing it with relatively few squabbles shock

Besom Fri 12-Aug-11 17:43:41

Have taken 3 yo dd to the Little Mermaid ballet today. She really enjoyed it, and so did I. It's a youth production but they were fab. And we got to go on stage to speak to them/take photos at the end - they were so sweet and lovely. Dd was star struck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now