Things to do in between festival shows with DC

(19 Posts)
midnightexpress Thu 21-Jul-11 10:24:20

Hi Embru folk. We're coming through for a day in August for a couple of shows in the festival, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good places to go with the DC (5 and 4) in between shows? Places to eat/hang out. with smallish DC. The shows are near George Square and at the Pleasance so already we'll be having a bit of a hike from A to B so probably not too much more walking.

OwlMother Thu 21-Jul-11 10:31:33

There is a fab play park at the east end of the meadows if the day is nice. Not too far out of the way. My brother works at the pleasance and says they have just put up a play igloo for kids but I don't know how big it is or how long it would keep you busy.

midnightexpress Thu 21-Jul-11 10:33:12

Oh fab, thanks.

AnneinEdinburgh Thu 21-Jul-11 11:03:21

The museum isn't far away in Chamber Street - the main part has been closed for 3 years and is due to open 29th July and the part that has been kept open is good for a rainy day with buttons to push and an F1 car to test drive and so on.

Meadows park is totally fab as OwlMother says and would be between those 2 venues nicely.

PamSco Thu 21-Jul-11 13:47:52

The new museum will have a GIANT dinosaur too...

www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/national_museum/whats_on/opening_weekend.aspx

For eating in the area it really depends on what you like there is loads...

It is quite a short walk between your venues btw I know it is slower with kiddies smile

The Pleassance Dome venue which is in the university campus between both venues (if your Pleassance is the one on the Pleasance!) has lots of easy food choices though can be busy. What time of the day and what kind of food will you be looking for and I can give some recommendations?

mawbroon Thu 21-Jul-11 16:51:14

I agree that it's not that far between the venues.

How long have you got between shows?

midnightexpress Thu 21-Jul-11 17:31:42

Thanks everyone. Second show isn't at the Pleasance - I got it wrong, it's at the Scottish Storytelling centre. Not quite sure where that is, but I think it's somewhere near the Bridges. One's ends at 11.15ish and the next one is at 1, I think.

Chambers Street is a good idea - I haven't been for yonks and would love to see what they've done with it. Is there a decent cafe there perhaps - that would be a good halfway spot. I might also take a picnic to that playpark if the weather's decent.

Oh, I'm looking forward to it now - I mean to book some tickets every year and this is the 1st time I've actually got round to it. I do love Edinburgh.

mawbroon Thu 21-Jul-11 17:34:32

Still not too far though. Storytelling centre is on the Royal Mile, just past John Knox's house.

I like the baked tattie shop at the top of Cockburn Street. Not too expensive and massive tatties!!

Groovee Thu 21-Jul-11 19:22:03

The storytelling centre has a lovely cafe and the museum of childhood is opposite. There's also the people's story and the brass rubbing centre. The only cafe I don't recommend is the Rabbie Burns one as it cost me over £25 for 4 drinks and 4 cakes :-S

midnightexpress Thu 21-Jul-11 20:38:45

Oh gosh the brass rubbing centre! Is that still down on Princes Street somewhere? I went there to do a brass rubbing when I was about 10 (a BILLION years ago). That might be fun.

midnightexpress Thu 21-Jul-11 20:39:11

Or maybe I might just have to have another trip through...

OwlMother Thu 21-Jul-11 21:03:02

Midnightexpress You've just inspired me to spend a lot of time (and money!) on the Fringe Website sorting out shows for my 3 dc.

My brain is now all addled - complicated stuff scheduling children's social calendars!

midnightexpress Thu 21-Jul-11 22:01:54

I know - I had to go back and change the dates about 3 times before I finally got a day that didn't clash with swimming lessons/holiday club/other aspect of their giddy social whirl. It meant missing out on a good 2-for-1 deal, but hey. And I never get anything decent in the book festival - the DC would have loved to meet Axel Scheffler, but the book fest stuff always seems to sell out in about 5 mins.

Have fun - what are you going to see?

OwlMother Thu 21-Jul-11 23:00:45

James Campbell (kids comedian) at the assembly rooms - he is really good, seen him about 4 times before and the kids love his cds. Bit old for your two probably, but definitely one to look out for.

That's at the end of the fringe, and at the beginning we've got the Tim Bat Trick show at the pleasance (magician/ comedy thing - I think!) and a show called Inventions go bang at george square on the same day.

Don't begrudge the money on tickets so much as the handling fee - and the picking up from the box office! How about you, what did you end up with?

midnightexpress Thu 21-Jul-11 23:18:03

I got them sent to me. We've gone for 'Hairy McClary and Friends' because we all like ole Hairy - gawd knows how it'll be staged, but it sounded quite good from the reviews. Then 'The King's Got Donkey's Ears', mostly because it fitted in time-wise! I quite liked the look of the bubble man - I would v much like to see DS1 or DS2 inside an enormous soap bubble.

AnneinEdinburgh Fri 22-Jul-11 11:30:18

Hairy McClary was great last year and so was the bubble show. Tales form the Shed is always good and the Mole who knew it was none of his business was also good (and not a poo in sight, just folded hankies!). :-)

WhatWouldLeoDo Tue 26-Jul-11 21:29:44

Bear in mind that there'll be lots going on on the Royal Mile so give yourself plenty of time to get to the story telling centre.

We saw Hairy McLairy last year btw - it was very good. Mostly musical with lots of grown ups dressed as the various characters. We're going again this year in fact.

There'll be some food areas in the George Sq Assembly bit too. Looks like they have pizza if you're after a 'treat' george square. Might be a bit quicker than going somewhere else to find something to eat?

thesurgeonsmate Sun 31-Jul-11 22:07:59

Update - the new museum if absolutely gorgeous. Don't miss it!

JetLi Fri 12-Aug-11 22:37:49

Marking my place ready for a visit next weekend grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now