Edinburgh babysitting rates?

(9 Posts)
shemademedoit Thu 14-Jul-11 11:11:05

Hello. I hope one of you can help me! Any advice on the going rate for babysitting in Edinburgh? It's for a sitter who is in her thirties, experienced, has kids of her own, police checked and teaches in primary/secondary school? (Me!) I want to earn some spare cash in the evenings when I'm there in the summer, but have no idea what to charge. My old nanny said she pays £7.50 for 2+ kids: I used to pay more 7 years ago (to her!) but I know times have changed. I'd be OK with £7.50: is this reasonable?. Thanks in advance for your advice.x

legobuilder Thu 14-Jul-11 19:07:49

if the kids are already in bed when you arrive, and are v unlikely to wake, then £6/£7 per hour, if you have to put them to bed then £8, and if you are kind enough to iron while you await parents return, £10.

shemademedoit Thu 14-Jul-11 19:13:00

Thanks! Hopefully I'll find someone with a mountain of ironing to do!

Groovee Thu 14-Jul-11 19:52:40

My ex collegues (Nursery Nurses) charge £7.50 an hour. I used to charge £5 an hour when I babysat pre children.

LadyWord Thu 14-Jul-11 19:57:39

We use Sitters agency which is £6/hour (plus a membership fee) and nursery staff £8/hour (we use the nursery staff if we need someone early and they have to put the baby to bed).

shemademedoit Fri 15-Jul-11 06:40:58

Thanks! I looked at Sitters, and think I'd be ideal for them, but there's not enough time to get my UK police checks done (I've had them done here in France where I now live.) Getting these checks done seems to be the norm, so I think I'll mainly end up babysitting my friends kids at this rate!

capucinenskinautik Tue 19-Jul-11 11:51:58

Hello!

I regularly babysit in Edinburgh and always charge £7.50/hour. Mums I know apparently agree!

Nospringflower Thu 21-Jul-11 22:19:27

Our babysitter is a nurser nurse and charges £7 per hour. I would gladly pay more for someone who ironed as well!!

shemademedoit Thu 21-Jul-11 23:04:38

Well if either of you need a Festival night out and want to interview me for babysitting, please do! (I'm a brilliant ironer!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now