Does anyone know Clerwood????

(11 Posts)
nineyearoldsarerude Tue 12-Jul-11 21:51:01

We were thinking of moving back to Edinburgh and there are some properties for sale in the Clerwood area. I have never been in that part of Edinburgh though so wondered if anyone could advise if it's a liveable neighbourhood?

Groovee Tue 12-Jul-11 22:12:48

We viewed a lot of houses round here when we were looking. Catchment schools were Fox Covert, and the area seemed nice enough. The idea of walking up Clermiston Hill was the only of putting as there are no buses up that road.

nineyearoldsarerude Tue 12-Jul-11 22:20:06

Thanks for your reply! We are already up a hill but perhaps Clermiston Hill is steeper-we'll have to check it out. Can I ask where you ended up instead?

nineyearoldsarerude Tue 12-Jul-11 23:49:25

I have just noticed Fox Covert is a Catholic school. Where do you go if not Catholic?

K999 Tue 12-Jul-11 23:52:12

Hell, dontcha know? grin

nineyearoldsarerude Wed 13-Jul-11 00:00:51

Of course!
It seems that there is Fox Covert and Fox Covert RC-sharing the same address? I have no idea how this works. Sounds a step up from Hell though!

Groovee Wed 13-Jul-11 08:42:08

There are 2 schools at FC who share a campus but tend to be quite separate. I've never been to the 2 but have friends with children at both and they are small schools and people are very happy with the schools.

We ended up closer to tesco in Broomhall.

I've walked down Clermiston Hill but never up it. I am disabled though and the steepness was hard work down hill. But the 26 bus stop isn't far but up hill. More buses from Drumbrae Drive too.

nineyearoldsarerude Wed 13-Jul-11 10:26:23

I've checked on streetview and you're right-that's quite a hill-don't fancy cycling up it with groceries. Not sure if I should let it put me off or not!

Groovee Wed 13-Jul-11 13:24:15

Have a look at the drumbrae as that's not as steep and I've managed to walk up that. I was supposed to be training for the moonwalk and we preferred to walk up the drumbrae and down the clerrie hill. There's been a few houses for sale in Broomhall/Wester Broom which is nearer tesco and less hilly if you want to look there.

crazycarol Wed 13-Jul-11 20:53:16

There are quite a few new houses being built here on the site of the old college. The existing houses were always quite nice and the 2 schools are ok. While the RC one was always quite small the catchments in the west of edinburgh have been redrawn (or about to be) so numbers may change. The hill is great to walk (or cycle!) down! But as already said it is tough to walk up. The 26 bus is quite frequent and goes into town but it is quite a long journey from clerwood as it has to go all the way round.

nineyearoldsarerude Wed 13-Jul-11 21:08:41

I guess I could take the bus (the long way round) on my way back up. So it doesn't have any particularly rough bits to look out for? Would you choose other areas above it (budget permitting!)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now