Catholic schools in Edinburgh/Lothians?

(8 Posts)
Mahone Tue 01-Mar-11 00:26:29

I've just moved back to the Edinburgh area with 3 pre-school dc, after a few years abroad. I can be flexible about where we live but I'd like to be within about an hour or so of Edinburgh. My plan is to start with a good Catholic school (primary initially) and work from there but I'm totally out of touch with schools.

Can you recommend a good school? I don't have a huge budget, and would love a garden, so the outskirts would work out better than the city. Drawing a circle, I could look as far as the more northerly bits of the Borders, out towards Falkirk, or Musselburgh. I have an irrational fear of living over the bridge, but apart from that I don't really have a clue what I want, do I?

We're staying with DM atm, and she is well-meaning but I'm too old to be staying with my mum. Please give me some advice quickly before I throttle her wink

PogueMahone Tue 01-Mar-11 19:48:38

bump

squidgy12 Wed 02-Mar-11 15:05:41

Message withdrawn

PogueMahone Thu 03-Mar-11 21:25:07

Brilliant. Thanks Squidgy!

ratspeaker Fri 04-Mar-11 15:29:12

www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory/13/primary_schools
gives the list of state primary schools in Edinburgh the RC ones included
There are also 3 state secondary RC schools; Holyrood, St Thomas, St Augustines

All my DC have left school now, but they were happy at St Johns Portobello
Its an old building but the morale was, and I believe still is, very good.
Its catchemnt area includes Mountcastle, Portobello, Duddingston, Brunstane, Joppa, Willowbrae, Northfield,

PogueMahone Tue 08-Mar-11 21:18:59

Thanks ratspeaker! I was looking at Duddinston, so St John's was one of the ones that I was keen to hear about.

BeanyAl Fri 11-Mar-11 20:54:08

HI

Don't know if this will affect your decision but I saw a notice up in my kids' nursery about a proposal to change the catchment areas for RC secondary schools that overlap City of Edinburgh and
West Lothian. There is a joint consultation between the 2 councils taking place. Link to the Edinburgh City website is:

www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/675/consultations_on_education/1300/catchment_areas_of_roman_catholic_schools_on_the_border_of_west_lothian

mani83 Sun 17-Jul-11 16:30:41

St. Peters is The best in Edinburgh apparento, i link its nera fairmilehead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now