Child care options in/near Edinburgh?

(13 Posts)
Nineathena Tue 05-Oct-10 09:19:00

We're going to be moving to the UK (not sure where yet, within 40 min's commute of London or Edinburgh) next year. Our dd will be between 12 and 18 months when we come.

Our plan was to let DH work, and I'll look after Lea for a few months until we can suss out what the childcare situation is like.

It now seems that I might be getting a job off the bat too. What childcare options are there available to us in the UK? We're coming from SA. She's currently in a great daycare with webcams and a child to carer ratio of 3:1. What can I start googling that'll be similar? And what kind of pricing are we looking at?

What do you consider the best option for a child this age?

evitas Tue 05-Oct-10 10:14:52

Hi Nineathena
This is a good website where you can find nurseries and childminders
www.scottishchildcare.gov.uk/LocalSearch01.aspx?ch isid=29

or this one
www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/851/nurseries_and_playgr oups

or even this one
www.childminding.org/

There is a debate whether a nursery is better than a child minder. I thinks it's a very personal choice. Childminders are only allow to look after 6 children in total (including their own) but only 3 children can be under the age of 5 (or 6 I'm not sure)

I guess it depends on where you'll be living, but from my experience some nurseries have a long waiting list and you need to contact them far in advance.

But childcare is expensive: 5 days full time can cost around £800 per month, and a half day per week is around 20-25£. Childminders can also charge you around 4 to 5 pounds per hour.

There are a lot of Toddlers groups that you can attend and many activities.

Hope it helps.
Good luck.
See you in Edinburgh some time next year

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 05-Oct-10 10:28:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

evitas Tue 05-Oct-10 10:36:31

StewieGriffinsMom would you recommend any nursery in Stockbridge/Comely Bank?

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 05-Oct-10 10:42:46

evitas Tue 05-Oct-10 10:45:04

Thanks StewieGriffinsMom. We've found a child minder and I'll see how it goes.
I've heard good things about The New Town nurseries but it seems very posh

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 05-Oct-10 10:50:12

AnneinEdinburgh Tue 05-Oct-10 12:50:57

Cowgate is fab, my DS just started there, but we had to wait for 18 months and I think the new policy is for them to only want to offer full time places. It is lovely and very right on, natural wood, time outside and very scarily using real woodworking tools, though I haven't seen any 9 fingered children there! All the kids seem very happy.

Nineathena Wed 06-Oct-10 08:50:15

Thanks guys!!!

imaworkingmummy Sun 09-Oct-11 22:05:07

Hi Folks, I'm new to this site and looking for some advice. I work in edinburgh and have a childminder but i am looking to change, does anyone know any childminders that work from home?

Groovee Mon 10-Oct-11 16:21:19

Which area are you in imaworkingmummy?

HB36 Thu 13-Oct-11 14:02:07

I am looking for a childcare place or nursery for my 14 month old daughter for one day a week. I have been told about a place called Spotty Socks in Trinity but cant seem to find it on the internet anywhere. Does anyone know a contact number? Or can anyone recommend a childminder? I am new in Edinburgh and dont know many people. We live in Inverleith so somewhere/someone local would be ideal. Thank you !

froggydoo Thu 13-Oct-11 17:35:09

Spotty socks is a (fabulous) childminder called Fiona. Try Fiona@spottysocks.co.uk . She has a website but I think it isn't up and running yet. I know her and she is absolutely great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now