New to Eastbourne and keen to meet mums!

(58 Posts)
SarahinEastbourne Tue 09-Mar-10 10:03:28

I'm a mum to a toddler (boy) and pregnant with my second (girl) - due in June. I recently moved to Eastbourne from London and would be keen to meet other local mums / mums-to-be.

I was previously working in PR in London, but hubbie decided we should buy a guesthouse by the seaside, so here we are! So far loving it, but would like to know a few more people...

StoneCrossMum Sun 14-Apr-13 10:21:45

fab, count me in! x

EmilyButtonsMum Thu 18-Apr-13 19:31:30

Can you do the Friday the 26th at Gildredge park? I will start a separate thread about it smile

StoneCrossMum Thu 18-Apr-13 20:37:18

yes can do, at the cafe by the tennis courts?
smile

EmilyButtonsMum Thu 18-Apr-13 20:50:00

Yes that is good with me, Go on to meetups and put your name down then we can keep track of who is coming smile

EmilyButtonsMum Thu 18-Apr-13 20:50:53

local.mumsnet.com/eastbourne/group-meet-ups/eastbourne-centre

MummyLambo Tue 14-May-13 12:00:49

Hi everyone,
My friend and I are thinking about starting a WI type group in Eastbourne for young (ish!) mums/ all 30 somethings. We would like to get to meet more mums in Eastbourne and do all kinds of activities that we would like to have a go at. We're thinking one eve a month (when partners around to look after kids!) to meet for an hour or two and try something new over a cuppa and cake!
Would anyone be interested in this?
Thanks, Laura

goshhowlovely Wed 15-May-13 10:42:07

Hi Laura

I would definitely be interested in this! We moved from Brighton just under a year ago and don't know too many people in Eastbourne. I was in the process of starting a WI in Brighton a while back but someone pipped us to it so would def be keen to do something similar here and meet some like minded mums! I'm 28 with two daughters (21 months and 6 weeks).

Emilybuttonsmum - looks like we're too late for the 26th meet up but keen to come to any future ones!

Thanks!

SmileBecauseItHappened Sun 19-May-13 08:58:22

I'm so pleased I've found this thread. I'm thinking of moving back to Eastbourne after living in London for 18 years with a career in TV. I think EB is a great place to bring up kids, I grew up there and have fond memories, but have my reservations...

Even though I can contact old school friends via Facebook I need to meet new people and it's great to know other people from London have moved there / plan to move there.

My concern is that I notice EB is very 'white'! I'm used to a culturally diverse environment and want to meet a diverse range of people. This may sound odd (to some), but it's especially important to me as my toddler son is mixed race (I'm white) and I want him to grow up somewhere where it's normal to hang out with a mix of people (but not in London).

I know from visiting my family and hanging out in parks/at beach/going to tesco/sainsburys that EB is more diverse than when I left 18 years ago.
I'd just like to be able to meet like minded people and hopefully a broad mix of folk.

Would value your thoughts.

Thanks,

biglittledreams Mon 20-May-13 14:21:13

Hi

I am also please to have found this thread. We are thinking of moving to Eastbourne from London. Like SmileBecauseItHappened I have a mixed raced toddler, 2 yo. I know that London is unique in its cultural diversity, so would be hard to compare to...

Would be great to meet with like-minded people and make friends as I don't actually know anyone in Eastbourne at all.

What do people who have moved to Eastbourne in the past 2-3 years think of it? Especially coming from London?

thanks

SmileBecauseItHappened Mon 20-May-13 17:51:29

Hi,

BigLittleDreams - I'm so pleased you've joined this thread. I wondered if anyone would reply to my message. I agree about London and being hard to compare...

I look forward to hopefully reading more replies to mine and your messages.

I visit my folks fairly often, so i'm down literally every month for long weekends. I'm down for the Bank Holiday if you're about for a coffee / play date? Otherwise back in the Bourne towards the end of June.

Thanks,

SmileBecauseItHappened Mon 20-May-13 17:54:38

Hey BLD's - Just realised you've not yet moved there. I'm not sure how to message you direct. If you can work it out please do mail me, maybe we are near each other in London? If so, maybe we could meet near our current homes instead? SBIH

biglittledreams Tue 21-May-13 10:51:35

Hi SBIH

thanks for your message - I have posted a direct message to you, let me know if you get it

BLD

goshhowlovely Tue 21-May-13 14:08:59

Hi there

My two girls are also mixed race and, having spent most my life in London, it is hard to compare anywhere in terms of multi-culturalism (not sure if thats a word!)

We only recently moved here last summer and Im keen to meet new people in the Eastbourne area so would be happy to meet up too.

Def up for a play date on the bank holiday weekend if anyone is interested....!

SmileBecauseItHappened Tue 21-May-13 14:36:11

Hey BLD's - Got your message and have replied.

GHL - Great to hear from you! My boy is 22 months, how old are your girls? B/H playdate sounds good. Currently trying to work out timings with the folks but it's looking like Sunday is a free day, does that work for you? I'll send you a PM.

Hopefully a few more will see this thread and our BH catch up will grow.

SBIH

biglittledreams Tue 21-May-13 14:53:57

Hi SBIH and GHL, if we come to Eastbourne on Sun to view more properties will get in touch so we can meet.

BLD

JaquelineHyde Tue 21-May-13 20:29:09

Hi everyone

I moved to EB last October but have had family in the area for forever.

I have 4 DCs - DD1 (8), DS1 (7), DD2 (6) and DS2 (3 weeks) and all 4 are mixed race (white British -me and black Zimbabwean - dh).

We love it here and can't wait for all the summer fun to start, I've been going through some of the free event magazines and they are packed with activities and day out ideas.

I would love to join a WI type gathering so please let me know if anything gets organised. Also if any meet ups outside of the playstation happen please let me know, I just can't bare to go there without the older three and they are always at school on a Friday when you meet there.

SmileBecauseItHappened Wed 22-May-13 13:57:46

Hey JH,

Great you've joined this thread. I'm planning on coming down to EB to stay for a month in August - just to refresh myself with the town and check out nurseries, soft play centres, hopefully meet some like minded people.

Can you recommend a good local mag or website so I can find out about whats happening over the summer?

I'd also be up for a WI type meet up (if one is happening when I'm there) too.

Hope to see you soon.

SBIH

JaquelineHyde Thu 23-May-13 12:15:17

Hello

I have had 2-3 events magazines sent home from school over the past week, I shall get them from my file and let you know.

I'm stuck in bed at the moment as sick as a dog and feeling very sorry for myself.

It's the sunshine carnival on Saturday as well but I suspect I shall have to miss it sad

EastbourneMum Thu 13-Jun-13 12:45:08

Hello,

There is a new, free meetup group you might be interested in, for Mums in and around Eastbourne, which is all about socials and mutual support! :-)

You can find out more here:

http://www.meetup.com/sussex-mums/

Warm wishes :-)

Eastbourne Mum

SmileBecauseItHappened Wed 10-Jul-13 12:53:25

JacquelineHyde - I've tried to PM you but it seems someone else has this nickname now. Could you PM me as I'd like to talk to you. Thanks, SBIH

Yourmummy Wed 21-May-14 22:56:13

Hey

I was wondering if this thread is still alive? I have just moved from Brighton to Eastbourne and would absolutely love to meet other mums. I've got an 8 month old boy myself, I do hope that I can join your meet-ups or maybe we could arrange something new?

xxx

Natsfacea Tue 17-Jun-14 19:57:17

Hi all, it's so nice to read this thread... I knew I couldn't be the only mummy without friends in the area. I moved here (Eastborne) from London, I'm mixed race so can fill any potential movers anything they need to know. I'm really loving Eastbourne especially now the the sun is shining. Been here 3 months! I have a 6 year old girl have met a few mums at school but want to meet someone who wants a friend or 2.
So I'm thinking of a meet up! !!! I'm free during week most days. If more than 3 people contact me ill post on here the details for everyone else of where and when. If only 1 or 2 people are still out there I'm happy to meet just the 1 person. I desperately need to get some friends here! !!!!!! Feel free to email natalie.bembridge@yahoo.co.uk

Yourmummy Tue 17-Jun-14 22:41:29

Hi

I am very glad you've posted! I would love to meet up. I've got a nine month old boy. Please do let me know if you organise a meet up.

Tatiana x

Natsfacea Tue 24-Jun-14 12:16:45

Hi Taiana, so far it's only you! I'm still keen to meet up. If you would like to please email me and we can make arrangements!very nice to hear from you x

Natsfacea Tue 24-Jun-14 15:02:32

P's. I have been contacted by another 2 mums on another site, so the group is growing! Please send me your email if you can and ill keep you posted on events X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now