Bexhill vs Hailsham

(5 Posts)
Ahzrei Sun 30-Nov-14 21:29:06

We're looking to move out of Lewes as we can get about three times more space for our money further along the coast. Seen two very nice houses so far, one in Bexhill' about a five minute walk from the train station, and one in Hailsham, just over the bridge from the town centre, by the kids playground.

We know nothing about with of the towns so would love some advice. I like the Hailsham house slightly more - but have heard bad things about the town. Is it really that bad? Or is it just an average market town? Not bothered about the lack of railway station.

Would be great to hear people's experiences of either town. Thanks.

Medi89 Sun 30-Nov-14 22:34:05

I live fairly close to both & personally I wouldn't want to live in either of them, but if I had to it would be Bexhill over Hailsham every time.

Hailsham is pretty dire - I await a flaming!

Why not look at Eastbourne or Hastings? Both have their pluses & minuses but, overall, are much nicer towns than the two you are thinking about.

Ahzrei Mon 01-Dec-14 19:18:58

I don't like either Eastbourne or Hastings much. Personally I'm more of a country girl at heart, so like to be able to get into the countryside within five to ten minutes. Eastbourne and Hastings are both too big for my liking.

GrandmotherKaren001 Fri 22-May-15 15:13:52

I live in Hailsham ... have done for 15 years now ... and yes it has its problems. but I like living here - there is a huge Community / Children's Centre, 5 primary schools to choose from a high achieving Secondary School, regular friday boot fair / market. Farmers market, regular markets in the high street , its own bonfire society, 2 or 3 scouts groups. A museum and an art gallery in the high street ... not to mention plenty of really good restaurants and a fabulous Bar - Chapter 12 - in the High Street. And its own cinema www.pavilionhailsham.co.uk/index.html who get very involved with the community. Its also twinned with Gourney en Bray in France and you can get involved in that too. I get tired of hearing people slate Hailsham. Don't know much about Bexhill except I like it there too. Just remembered it also has a Freedom Leisure Centre with a gym, swimming pool and bowling. Its just a short way from the seaside and anything else you could want. Happy hunting.

trufflehunterthebadger Tue 18-Aug-15 02:51:23

I'm a hailsham girl born and bred. Don't buy the house you are thinking of, south road is very busy and i would not live there if you paid me. There is quite a lot of ASB in the park at night too.
Anything north of the town centre is fine, avoid anything in Town Farm, Swan road or Butts Field estates - unless you enjoy watching dpmestics and people being arrested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now