Moving to Hastings...

(104 Posts)
surreymumwithone Wed 19-Sep-12 09:28:31

Hello - I hope some of you Hastings Mum's out there can help me. We (me, DH and DD) are planning a move to Hastings from Surrey/West London and while I know that most people look on here for info on schools, my request is more for areas we can register an interest in with the estate agents as we've just come back from 10 days in Hastings and are a bit lost about where to avoid. A bit of background, DH will be commuting to London and has all of that sorted and I am a SAHM. Our Daughter is 4 and will be home educated due to disability and ongoing health issues. So we aren't looking at Hastings for work or schools, just for a lifestyle change and a better way of life for my Daughter who needs fresh air and all of the sensory wonders that come along with being so near to the sea. We love Hastings Old Town and had found a wonderful house, however as with most properties in the Old Town, it was next door but one to a pub and I'm just not sure we are ready for that with a little one. I don't know if it helps but we love the feel of the Old Town and Fishing Quarter, along with all of the roads at the top of West Hill. Obviously, sea views would be wonderful but more importantly is a nice area and parking as my Daughter is physically disabled and it would be great to not have to use a chair to get from home to the car. We are open to any area as we have no real restrictions and have a good budget for each month but we've found some conflicting information online about Hastings in general (from DO NOT MOVE THERE to best decision we ever made) so finding info on which areas to look at or better yet, which areas to avoid, has been impossible. I know that each town has good and bad and we aren't stuck up at all, its just worrying being blind and moving there with a child. If it was just the two of us, we would have loved the house next a pub and all that went along with that. I might be barking up the wrong tree by posting this here so if I am, I apologise. I'm just stumped. Thanks in advance smile

BumFunHun Mon 22-Oct-12 15:22:48

Someone posted a link to a property on Downs Road-that house is pretty much opposite ours smile it's a lovely road. Near a very good school, and we've never had any trouble at all. We've also lived in st leonards, but I'd agree that I'd be selective on roads. OP I do t know how healthy your budget is, but there are some really nice buildings on Dane Road, Brittany Road - most of these are large mansion type buildings that have been converted-but if you're minted and could afford a whole building, then these are nice roads! My son still goes to st leonards c of e school, as I didn't want him to have the upheaval of changing when we moved-it's a lovely little school smile

AGeeksWife Fri 12-Oct-12 07:15:27

Ooh I know your SIL OhDear I reckon and in that case went to school with your BIL but I haven't seen him since school and he'd likely not remember me!

TeamEdward Mon 08-Oct-12 13:04:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Mon 08-Oct-12 12:19:24

If they were born in the conquest in the last 7/8 years there's a possibility you'd have seen her although she was on maternity leave in 2010 and is on mat leave at the moment.

BedHog Mon 08-Oct-12 09:46:04

Ooh, I wonder if your SIL delivered either of my children?! Can't think of any Trittons I know, but I know lots of people without knowing their surnames iykwim.

...and I've never been arrested so prob don't know your DH!!! wink

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Mon 08-Oct-12 08:32:22

Sorry, posted too quickly - everyone seems to know one of DH, SIL or BIL ! Sil is a midwife at the conquest and Bil works for Hams, dh is a policeman (moving back to hastings uniform patrol next week)

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Mon 08-Oct-12 08:29:28

Pils only moved there about 6 years ago, they lived in playden gardens and other places before. If you grew up in hastings you probably know someone in our family - Tritton

BedHog Mon 08-Oct-12 07:57:29

I spent much of my childhood in Hazelwood Gardens!! Several of my friends lived there!!

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Mon 08-Oct-12 01:58:11

Really ? I must have driven past it a million times - pils live in Hazelwood Gardens off old roar road

BedHog Wed 03-Oct-12 07:36:14

Yes, the big house that's straight in front of you as you turn in from St Helens Road.

<dodges TeamEdward spit>

TeamEdward Tue 02-Oct-12 22:21:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BedHog Tue 02-Oct-12 18:06:25

He did some of the television experimentation in a house at the bottom of Ghyllside Avenue too.

silverfrog Tue 02-Oct-12 15:07:41

There is a sign on ebdens hill too, just before the flyover at Junction Road - the mosaic-y tourism one, along with the twinning one, which says "birthplace of television". JLB's workshop was in Queens arcade, iirc, but the first pictures were transmitted from elsewhere.

susiegrapevine Tue 02-Oct-12 13:41:39

There is a whole wewbsite dedicated to blue plaques in hastings we have sooooo many! Look on there just google search for it.

TuftyFinch Tue 02-Oct-12 13:13:27

No, never ever seen that sign. Ever. There's some plaque sort of thing at the top. I thought you meant that. But it appears there are multiple signs. All over.

Hullygully Tue 02-Oct-12 13:04:32

the sign is on the way in tho, if you come from Rye direction

tsk

silverfrog Tue 02-Oct-12 12:57:39

There always used to be a sign up in the arcade - Queen's Walk? where the 1066 bakery used o be, before the fire; at the back of where Ward's was (again, before the fire) which said JLB first trnsmitted televised pictures as a result of experiments carried out in that workshop.

TuftyFinch Tue 02-Oct-12 12:50:55

At the top. Where the railway goes. Isn't that where he dicovered telly? By the telescope?

Hullygully Tue 02-Oct-12 12:48:00

the cafe?

what cafe?

TuftyFinch Tue 02-Oct-12 12:44:33

Write them a letter. Tell them. I always want to turn the cafe next to it around a bit. They'll put it in the wrong place. It really irks me.

AND I want to knock all the walls down and start again. The stupid bit at the back where you order drives me insane. Everytime I go in there I swear quietly, constantly. I just stand there saying 'forfuckssake, forfuckssake' over and over, louder and louder.

Phew, glad I got that off my chest. It was weighing heavier than I thought.

Hullygully Tue 02-Oct-12 12:40:42

I hate that sign Birthplace of Television

makes me shudder

TuftyFinch Tue 02-Oct-12 12:37:32

AND that old Mr Baird discovered the television there didn't he.

Hullygully Tue 02-Oct-12 12:36:15

AND the largest beach based fishing fleet in Europe

And the last place in England to be Christianised

TuftyFinch Tue 02-Oct-12 12:13:21

Nowhere else in the world has 2 funicular railways. Most places don't even have one.

susiegrapevine Tue 02-Oct-12 11:54:27

I love living in hastings too. Good local transport links lots of quirky independant shops in old town and enough chain shops to do for most trips. Lots of stuff to do. I hated being in bexhill as a teenager, no where to go, nothing to do! Loved it when my mum 1st gave me permisson to go on the train to hastings. However rose tinted specs aside I think its still true that hastings is the most deprived area in the south east (excluding london) and the 34th most deprived area in the country. But because of this we get lots of extra services for kids and the like. Still I love living here and when I hear dh talking about his childhood in london around 15yrs ago I feel glad I grew up in this area even if it was mostly bexhill its still a reletively good area only down sides are the transport links out of the town as previously stated and lack of jobs in the local area that pay well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now