The dreaded commute

(6 Posts)
ehmumbo Tue 07-Feb-17 10:50:05

We are considering a move to Lewes but currently live and work in London.
Just wondering if things with Southern Rail are things improving at all? confused
And also have been told the season ticket is around £6k pa - is this accurate?

ehmumbo Mon 20-Feb-17 12:50:50

I take it from the resounding silence that things are still pretty bad.

choosingchoices Mon 20-Feb-17 14:54:19

Yes, pretty bad I'm afraid. There has been a brief improvement but looks like the strike is set to continue. Don't travel on the Lewes branch though so can't offer specific advice on that bit

user1470900779 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:14:05

I live in Lewes and work near London Bridge. The past couple of weeks have been fine but I hear there's another strike planned for this Wednesday. I'm not sure if it's the drivers or conductors (or both) striking this time, but in any event it doesn't look as if there are many trains running on the Haywards Heath - Lewes section of the line. When this happens I tend to do one of three things:

1. Work from home (luckily, I'm in a job where I can)
2. Take a detour via Brighton (obviously adds to journey time, and the Brighton to London trains are especially busy on days like this as lots of people have the same idea)
3. Drive to a station on the SouthEastern network, and travel to London from there. They accept Southern season tickets on strike days. Stonegate's a good one, albeit 35-45 mins' drive from Lewes

My annual season ticket is £4,452. I claim compensation for all delays over 15 mins. For each strike day I get a refund of £19.20.

I hope that's helpful. Lewes is LOVELY.

ehmumbo Mon 20-Feb-17 19:42:50

Ah thanks user that's really helpful!
How often are the strikes? Do you get delayed every week usually?

ehmumbo Mon 20-Feb-17 19:44:39

And yes Lewes looks fab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now