Moving to Brighton area, recommend Newhaven or Seaford?

(7 Posts)
beejustbee Fri 31-Jan-14 11:33:38

Hello, i'm a mumsnet virgin, i've heard this is a great place for information! We love brighton but we can't afford the property we want there. We are looking at Newhaven potentially but reading older threads i see people calling it 'not-so-nice' things...also Peacehaven was in the equation but there was some mention of a sewage works?? Read nice things about Seaford. Can anyone give me some current info please? One of us needs to commute to London and primary schools need to be considered. Thank you!

OliveOil71 Fri 31-Jan-14 17:12:05

I think Seaford is supposed to be nicer than Newhaven or Peacehaven. Newhaven is considered a little 'rough' and the schools a bit 'tricky'. Seaford has some really nice parts, access to lovely countryside and beach, decentish shopping, lots of families and loads of schools that are not bad. If you like small rural primary lots of seaford kids get into Alfriston Primary too.

beejustbee Fri 31-Jan-14 18:12:02

Thanks oliveoil71

OliveOil71 Sun 02-Feb-14 18:43:03

I should add that Seaford is no Brighton! Nice in its own way but is just an ordinary town. Plus not sure the commute is even direct to london, think you would have to change at Lewes. If you want to be part of the city of Brighton and Hove but at a more affordable rate, you could look at 'west Hove' ie between Hove and Portslade, much cheaper but still part of the same conurbation. Seaford is far removed from Brighton really. Also look the other side of Brighton, to Shoreham by Sea...Also Ringmer, edge of Lewes is nice and the commute from Lewes is not bad. Good luck.

beejustbee Sun 02-Feb-14 19:18:29

thanks again 007 smile that's really helpful.

CaisleanDraiochta Wed 05-Feb-14 21:52:20

I can guess what some of the not so nice names you have heard about Newhaven are!!!! It does have it's good points though and one of them is definitely that you get more for your money, housing wise, than in Brighton. Its also only a short drive away from the city (B&H) or Eastbourne for the big shops, but with easy access to the beach and countryside too.

Like Seaford its not on a main London line (need to change at Lewes) but the trains are fairly frequent. Peacehaven has no train station at all.

For schools there is no reason why you can't look outside Newhaven if you so wish. some people send their DC as far as Lewes and there are also the village schools like Rodmell and Kingston.

beejustbee Fri 07-Feb-14 18:58:17

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now