A thread for the Ayrshire mums to catch up and generally pass the time of day.

(163 Posts)
macdog Tue 11-Aug-09 17:37:26

How is everyone??
DottyPS? Irvinemum? Anyone else??

Anyone going to Pre-5 Playday in Nethermains Hall tomorrow?

2 sessions : 10.30 - 12.30 and 12.30 - 3.30

Soft play, messy play and just a chance to let them cut loose for a while

I'm going to both sessions, it's my local hall.

DollyPS Fri 21-Aug-09 18:22:43

Sounds a plan and I was the same when they returned to school and going oh do I have to get up now as the hols where so care free. Oh well back to the grind. grin

irvinemum Sat 22-Aug-09 09:16:51

i,m back been very busy this week my wee girl started playschool this week she had a ball i,ve found it odd not having my girl around but i,m getting use to it now i hope ur all well i,m taking the wee to ballpit today 2 pass so time yay

DollyPS Sat 22-Aug-09 14:21:49

well I have been busy with the house again as I do the catch up at weekends as I teach all week. Hubby helps there as I wouldnt have it any other way as it is I work he works so we both do it. Hate it but needs doing LOL!!!!!!

I'm wondering what I'll do once the youngest lad goes off to high school as I will be so bored.

I might do an OU course on teaching or refresh my English and Maths as they are a bit rusty but I know what I am doing. I love numbers strange lass I am so an accountant course as well sounds dandy too

Hark me eh thinking of the future already ah well at the mo they are dreams and some dreams might just come true.

So I will be back to this as a natter and a coffee appeal to me but I will still do the catch up on here to. Seens I'm in this bit a lot catching up. Love it.

Off the noo folks and will be back later.

Macdog Sat 22-Aug-09 20:22:26

Well, anyone go to Marymass??

We avoided it nicely grin

irvinemum Sun 23-Aug-09 11:45:54

morning all i never went 2 marymass far too busy 4 me as i alway get lost so i when to saltcoat and got some bargains yay i hope ur all well and life is good

Macdog Sun 23-Aug-09 18:16:50

Went to Culzean yesterday and Pollock House today - National Trust members, so free days out smile

irvinemum Mon 24-Aug-09 00:38:40

culzean is that the castle i,ve not been there was it nice i,ve never been how have u been mac and how every1 else

DollyPS Mon 24-Aug-09 01:03:11

tis lovely at culzean actually NT members too.

Lad loves it there and we do lots of history subjects so he knows what he is asking loves it.

Anyone want a 12 year old lad that never shuts up the now just for a few days LOL!!!!!!!!

Whats Pollock house like then Mac.

Macdog Mon 24-Aug-09 09:29:29

Pollock House quite boring TBH. All about the art, not very gripping for a liitle person.

Grounds are nice, Burrell Collection there too. Mountain bike trails etc.

Culzean has got gorgeous grounds, Irvinemum.
Lots of space to run around and explore. we go there a lot

There is an activity running at moment for members where you have to find four Gnashers (from the Beano) at each Scottish property. We are half way to the goodie bag. Will get the others when we're on holiday up north

starshaker Mon 24-Aug-09 20:08:32

hi all thought id join in.

Culzean is is fab and so close. dd loves to feed the ducks. Does anybody ever go to pirate petes

Macdog Mon 24-Aug-09 20:38:37

Yay!!
Hi Starshaker and welcome!!

Not been to Pirate Pete's, any good??
Been to the one in Prestwick before.

We had a good one in Saltcoats (Apollo) , but apparently all the good stuff has been removed recently.

I am a coward and avoid soft play wherever possible grin

Andrea157 Tue 25-Aug-09 15:46:06

Hello All,

I'm new to this site and was just wondering if any mums meet up in the Irvine Area at all? I live in Lawthorn and don't know many folk from here, as I'm originally from Clydebank and moved to Irvine 6 years ago when I got married. Just had a little girl 3.5 months ago and feel a wee bit isolated.

Have heard through my health visitor that there is a baby/toddler group in Lanfine Halls - does anyone attend this group? It would be lovely to meet up as I'm kind of just stuck in the house most days, although I do take the little one to the park when it's nice outside - but so far I've not met any local mums at all and it would be great company for me and the little one (so she could babble to other little folk

Thanks

Macdog Tue 25-Aug-09 17:13:25

Hi Andrea and welcome!

We are trying to get a meet-up going, but it is a bit chaotic at the moment. we tend to spend more time chatting here smile

Parent & Toddler groups are a good way to meet mums in your area. Hope you have fun if you go.

I go to a Parent & Child swimming class at Auchenharvie, if that's something that interests you?
It's nursery rhymes in the water, basically getting the babies used to being in the water. Thursdays 1-1.30. My dd is 3 now, but there are smaller babies go, from 10 weeks.

Hope everyone else is well, and I'll catch up soon, x

DollyPS Tue 25-Aug-09 19:04:21

wow a baby in our midsts awwww how cute and welcome aboard folks more the merrier.

I'm not Irvine myself but I do travel. I'm Kilmarnock Homeschooling the now with a 12 year so we have a lot of different ages here which is nice. 12 year lad will be returning to school in a few weeks as this is his wish.

I'd say go along to the mother and baby group and see how you fit in and take it from there Andrea if you dont like it try another as I found some can be a bit OTT at times and some of the mums have made friends and dont want another in the mix but do try and get out more.

if you feel isolated at all even that walk to the park and this is a tip for you smile at everyone they may think your a nutter but you'll feel so much better in yourself too.

whats pirate petes are we talking star hen as I have never been myself any good at all as lad might be 12 but relates much better to younger ones and is such a great helper to them ask Macdog. So if we went he wouldnt feel out of place as such.

Mac and Irvinemum our numbers are growing.WOOHOO!!!!!!

So how is everyone then as my lad hasnt shut up now for 3 days at least he slept last night maybe the ritalin is working after all.Its the no stop chattering he is doing that is a tad much the now. I am sending him to the hubbies work the mora. LOL!!!!!

Macdog Tue 25-Aug-09 19:20:18

We're getting a fair crowd now!!

Pirate Pete's website

Glad all yours are settling, Dolly. Keeping fingers crossed all goes well with the lad

Andrea157 Tue 25-Aug-09 20:48:06

Thank you very kindly for the lovely welcomeand thanks for the great advice, I will give the Baby and Toddler group a whirl, although I do have to say I'm a tad shy until I get to know folk a little better blush, it's weird considering I work for the NHS and talk to various different folk throughout the day, or did do until I went on Mat leave!!

I would love to give the Parent and Child swimming classes a go, but I have no idea where Auchenharvie it is and sadly I don't drive (except my husband up the wall...occasionally. Is it far away?

DollyPS Tue 25-Aug-09 21:09:53

Andrea, Mac doesnt drive either just uses the buses but a bit different as her wee one is 3 now your wee one is 3 months. So a buggy would be a bit of a bugger getting on and off unless you have a sling that is. then all good. Mind you'll still be mastering a wee one and all that entails with it. How are you in yourself hen enjoying the baby moments or wishing for sleep or even both. Is there not a swimming pool in Irvine at all. We have the Gallon here in Kilmarnock they'll do the parent and child swimming as well. Bit of a trek again for you.

I think its different if its your job Andrea and having to talk to folks and doing it to complete strangers at a M&B meet.

Mac he has chattered for nearly 2 hours tonight but at least it isnt drivel. He has told me all about the TARDIS and why its bigger on the inside than out now that was very interesting and I was asking him how he knew this and he was telling me so not all bad, but its all the time you have to be there but guess what he is asleep WOOHOO. I think he ran out of steam tonight. LOL!!!!!

We sat and read as well which he loves now as he does voices like his mam yup I am a nutter officially as thats what I do hey I have a mean Dr Who voice well he is Scottish after all.

I usually end up with all the kids round me when I read as they say they love the voices I do as it makes the book more real aww bless em eh.

Oh and I thought I had lost me phone Mac some git had nicked it so I had to shut it down and now am awaiting another but all numbers are stored to sim so still have your numbers thank god.

Now I need to go off to asda again oh the joys not as we need shorts for a lass as our machine isnt working now that is another story all together.

DollyPS Tue 25-Aug-09 21:20:57

Mac I am so going to Pirate Petes as that looks well cool. I have 2 20 year olds wanting to go as well LOL!!!!!

irvinemum Tue 25-Aug-09 22:38:18

hi omg it,s getting busy on here hi mac hi dolly hi andrea hi any1 else we have try and meet up soon we all seem near by i know lawthorn well i got lost there few times ages ago as the other know i,m alway get lost lawthorn bit out the way u must feel alone sometime if i stayed there i would be im sure there playgroup near by u and how r u dolly well i hope
and macdog how,s ur week been now the wee back at school

Andrea157 Wed 26-Aug-09 00:20:43

Hi Guys,

Just got the wee one of to sleep at long last, absolutely shattered and I've got to be up bright and early tomorrow as I've got a GP appointment - hair is falling out and going bald as a bandicoot Not fun when your only 34 and have semi long hair!!

I totally agree DollyPS - it is totally different when I'm doing my job (talking), I could talk the ear off a dead donkey. But it's really great having some folk to "chat" to on here - all my friends either live in Dumbarton/ Clydebank / Glasgow and where I live, it's not very easy if you don't drive!!

Mac and my husband would get along famously -hubbie is an avid Doc Who fanatic - me I still get the heebie-jeebies at the Dalieks (SP?)and some other freaky characters

Love having my little one - she's just adorable, infact so does everyone else, thought that I would have to hire a security team to watch out for her when I was in the Mat Unit - everyone wanted to pinch her - but this title only goes to my mother - in -law who we've nicked named "The baby thief", every opportunity she get's she's got the bub in her arms, she even uses stealth mode when others are having a wee cuddle I'm feeling not too bad, although over the past few weeks have been particuarly stressful, husband was admitted to X-house with Pericarditis (inflammation of the sac that surrounds the heart) - very scary indeed - no wonder me hair is falling out!!

Anyway guys, I'm hitting the hay as up at 6.30am and no doubt bub will want her milky milk during the early hours of the morning...what joy

Hope to catch up with you all soon,

cheeribye xx

DollyPS Wed 26-Aug-09 00:20:58

Irvine I'd get lost in my back garden so your not alone there thats for sure. LOL!!!!!!

tis busy in here eh and lovely to I might add.

Lad is still sleeping so that is a bonus. His steam ran out LOL!!!! Well 2 hours of the TARDIS would do it. teehee. I love his obsession. Dr Who.

Defo on the coffee front and a natter and to welcome others too.

DollyPS Wed 26-Aug-09 00:28:23

Andrea its my lad that is the Dr Who fan hen and he is only 12. He has ADHD and Tourettes so we leave him with his obsession as it isnt harming anyone. Well if you want to listen to him for 2 hours solid. Your hubby would love that. LOL!!!!!

by the way the hair front its to do with the pregnancy hormones leaving and of course stress with Hubby.

Hope he is on the mend hen as that must of been really scary for you both.

Awww thats lovely you have a good bond with your MIL. Mine hates me sadly but I wont bore you with the details maybe at a later date.

right of to wake hubby from couch for bed me thinks.

Macdog Wed 26-Aug-09 08:12:09

This thread is really up and running now smile

Auchenharvie is between Stevenston and Saltcoats, the big leisure centre beside the secondary school.
The No 11 bus goes straight to it, but you'd have to get to Irvine cross first.

There is a Water babies class in Irvine town centre, but it is more expensive than the one I go to

try popping in to your local library (not sure which is nearest for you). The libraries have 'Rhyme times' every month, stories and songs for babies/toddlers. Chance to meet mums too.

Hope your GP appointment goes well.

Macdog Wed 26-Aug-09 08:12:44

And I am a huge Dr Who fan too grin

starshaker Wed 26-Aug-09 09:25:46

Things dont seem to stop lol. This is the first chance ive had time to MN in days. Just seems to be appointments etc constantly at the moment lol. Pirate petes is fab and they have a mini putting round outside aswell. I like it cos dd cant escape and can spend ages without even seeing her lol so i get piece to read for a bit why she uses up all her energy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now