relocating to Ealing -- what would you suggest

(34 Posts)
emali Tue 27-Oct-09 07:25:38

we are currently in the process of a potential relocation to London, as DH's job locates in Ealing, which is likely to be our future home if it goes through. it's a big decision and i have only been in transit through heathrow airport, so London to me has great appeal but i really know nothing about everyday life there and it's a bit overwhelming to say the least.

we have 2 DDs, 3 years and 1 year old. we want to make this move suitable to their lives or not too disturbing. if you have any recommendations on dos or dons, please let me know.

what area(s) would you think it's suitable for bringing up a family? the plan is to be there for at least 3 years, so DD1 would start reception and primary school. i'd like to be close the to park, playground, playgroups, libraries, community center, pool, etc.. for them to have an active life and make friends. initially i would stay home to look after them to help with the transition but i would need to work later so nurseries need to be in consideration as well..

thanks in advance for your valuable input and please just let me know anything you think is useful to a new comer.. or things you enjoy doing in Ealing as a family, i know when you are familiar with an area, it's not always obvious what might be "unknown" to others.

are there areas near Ealing that you'd suggest as well?

Iamamumma Tue 27-Oct-09 08:23:55

Ealing is a great place to live and bring up children, I know as I was born in Ealing and having moved all over the world, have chosen to live here again to bring up our family. Ealing is a big place - a full London Borough. It has LOADS of parks, in fact is one of the greenest boroughs. I would suggest you have a look at www.ealing.gov.uk/services/borough/index.html which tells you a lot about the area. There are loads of lovely areas, Ealing Broadway, Northfields, Hanwell, Pitshanger, Ealing Common - all with their own character and high street, libraries etc. But some areas are significantly more expensive than others, so your budget will probably decide where you live wink

I would also look at Isleworth, Richmond, Twickenham and Kingston, depending on how far your DH wants to travel to work.

Hope that helps

emali Wed 28-Oct-09 07:39:13

thank you for your help! i looked at the website and find the area map here page 9 and there are 7 areas, acton, ealing, greenford, hanwell,northolt, perivale, southall.

it looks to me that ealing broadway and ealing common, west ealing are all part of ealing? i remember reading ealing common is a large green space somewhere. looks like Hanwell and Northfields are close by, both close to Gunnersbury park. where is Pitshanger?

i know the budget.. though the pound is getting lighter your side of the world the property value still weighs a lot

DH doesn't want to travel much to work, in fact he is planning to ride to work in acton area.

are there areas you would avoid?

thanks again

Iamamumma Wed 28-Oct-09 08:32:41

With in each of the 7 " council wards" there are nice and not so nice areas. Like all of London, the private housing and social housing is all mixed and the haves and havenots live in close proximity, the basic way to tell how "nice" an area is reflected in the house prices.

Pitshanger is on the borders of Acton and Ealing Broadway, it is a small area with a little high street. Same as Northfields - is classed as West Ealing, but is a distinct area on it's own, with a small high street with shops and restaurants - is hard to explain. Think you will have to checkout rightmove.com and see what you like the look of. Personally, if I was a little bit richer grin I would love to live in Pitshanger or Ealing Broadway, but reality says I would rather have my house in Hanwell than a flat in those areas! Good luck!

slng Wed 28-Oct-09 20:39:14

We are in Hanwell and love it. (Estate agents in Ealing Broadway laughed in our face when they heard our budget. Look who's laughing now.) We are near bus stops to Ealing Broadway and train stations to Paddington. And NO CONTROLLED PARKING. Also good schools (primary anyway), great parks, and Waitrose grin. Northfield's nice too. Not entirely convinced about Pitshanger but great park there too.

emali Wed 28-Oct-09 21:41:57

Thanks for your messages. I now at least have a basic knowledge of the names of area.

From the map, hanwell looks quite green. Fielding primary is a good school and Hanwell is within it's catchment? With kids I'd rather have more space, a backyard would be nice;)

I was wondering what is waitrose groceries are a necessity! Sadly now my shopping is either for the girls or groceries! Is a high street like a downtown shopping area? With different types of shops?

Is there any concerns for safety? I can walk around with the stroller and feel comfortable in most areas?

slng Wed 28-Oct-09 22:11:25

Fielding would be Northfields. Our local schools are Brentside and Hobbayne and Mayfield, all quite good.

High street would normally have a range of shops. Eg Northfield has a good range of butchers/grocers and independent shops (kids bookshop, craft shops etc) and cafes and restaurants. Ealing Broadway has shopping centre with your usual chains like Marks and Spencers. Hanwell broadway has a Rolls Royce car shop hmm and various butchers/grocers/cafes. That kind of thing. Have a walkabout before you decide if you can!

Safety - never felt unsafe walking about even after midnight (though not that much of that these days on account of being in bed by 10pm which is exactly what I'm going to now ...)

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 28-Oct-09 22:38:18

Ealing is stuffed full of families with two young kids (including ours!) and every other person you see has a Phil & Ted's. We moved to South Ealing last year and we love it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Lammas Park and Walpole park are great for kids and if you live in Northfields or South Ealing you can walk through both parks to get to Ealing Broadway (where the bigger shops are), and stop to get a coffee in the park cafe on the way.

Northfields is the bit to the West of Northfields Avenue and then South Ealing is the bit between Northfields Avenue and South Ealing Road. (That's the estate agent way of looking at it anyway).

Also the 65 bus or a short car journey will take you straight to the gate of Kew Gardens - probably the best botanical garden in the world and a beautiful open space at any time of the year.

We only moved here from elsewhere in west London but I was still a bit concerned about making a new network of friends, especially as I was about to start maternity leave. I needn't have worried, it's a very friendly area and just the other day I met four different people I knew in the half mile between our house and the Broadway.

See you soon!

emali Wed 28-Oct-09 22:41:30

Hope you are having sweet dreams now

With 2 young ones I were hesitating to go for a visit before our move.. I am not sure what I can determine from a short visit. would you think I'd better go for a visit?

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 28-Oct-09 22:42:36

PS Ealing Common is indeed a big open space but that's it - and it's bounded on two sides by very busy roads - whereas the parks have amenities and are traffic-free.

The Central Library has a kids story time on Fridays and a very good range of children's books. Most areas have a smaller library (West Ealing, Northfields etc).

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 28-Oct-09 22:44:59

Where are you moving from btw?

emali Wed 28-Oct-09 22:50:02

Hi hi some one is home
thanks for your message which is very encouraging to say the least!
I know, moving countries one heavy thing you left behind is friends and luckily we don't have any family here..
I was banking on making friends by having playdates etc for the girls, especially when I am not working.
Go get some sleep now as you have a young one

emali Wed 28-Oct-09 22:51:48

Thanks again for your messages! We are currently in Vancouver, Canada.

AnyDisembodiedHomeMcFly Thu 29-Oct-09 18:20:45

No probs, you may find the Ealing 135 parents' site helpful too.

emali Fri 30-Oct-09 07:12:49

thank you! as you mentioned the bus goes from south ealing to kew gardens, can you take a stroller on the bus? or the carriers are better? have you looked into the local nurseries and primary schools? are there good state schools? how old are your young ones? i do take my kids here to the library for story times and local community center for different activities so it's really great to know those things can continue.

slng Fri 30-Oct-09 07:57:04

emali - you can normally take a stroller (pushchair?) on the bus, unless it's really packed. I have been told I couldn't get on just once, ages ago, when we had an enormous pram, and there were already two buggies on board. If you travel off-peak you should be fine.

The number 65 is a fabulous bus. Especially this time of the year. Very scenic after the traffic jams in Richmond ...

AnyDisembodiedHomeMcFly Fri 30-Oct-09 13:22:58

My kids are 2.9 and 7mo. Good state primaries but I've not looked at nurseries as my son stayed in the one he was in before we moved.

emali Fri 30-Oct-09 19:13:52

thanks slng for your reply. yes, i've found out that pushchair is a stroller;) it's the same here, per bus can only take 2 strollers.. and if it's packed you will need to wait for the next one.

do you use the tube station with strollers as well? or it's more difficult as there is no elevator but only stairs to access the platform?

hi McFly, our kids are very similiar in age, our older one is 2 years and 9 months and the younger one is 8.5 months.

i am going to check some properties out next..

slng Fri 30-Oct-09 22:49:22

Tube stations are indeed more difficult. When DS1 was walking and DS2 small I had a Maclaren pushchair that is foldable with one hand. I used to take DS2 out and carry him, fold pushchair, sling pushchair on back, walk down with DS1, then reverse the process at the bottom of the stairs ... It is quite doable ... You do get offers of help, but I just did it myself. I don't know what other people's experiences are, but I never had to ask for help - mostly people offered.

Wattinger Sun 01-Nov-09 16:33:23

There are lots of great nurseries in Ealing, probably cos there are so many families with young kids!

In the Uk all nurseries have regular inspections done by the government and you can read these on www.ofsted.gov.uk, just type in a postcode in Ealing (try W5 7GT, that's a central Ealing postcode!) and search nurseries in a 5 mile radius.

You could also have a look at the Ealing community website www.ealingw5.com. There are sections on what do do in Ealing, schools, services and a forum where you can ask for advice.

Ealing is a really nice place to live and very well connected to most places in London so you can explore!

emali Mon 02-Nov-09 05:48:47

thanks slng and Wattinger for your messages!

slng, i almost need to do that in my old place, DH made us to move after DD2 was born. that was right in front of our home, if i got any shopping, with only DS1, i need to do a few trips.so i know how to handle the stairs wink.

thanks to all your messages i feel we could have quite some fun time in london. no more questions for tonight so we can all rest and i feel we could have a fun time in london and maybe see some of you grin

emali Mon 02-Nov-09 09:13:44

What is greenford like? Looks like it's a bit mixed? not recommended?

slng Mon 02-Nov-09 20:33:07

We are literally round the corner from Greenford but don't go there very often, I think mostly because we are "originally" from Ealing! grin Don't know much about it. It has a good bike shop (got my bike there), a motorcycle museum, some beautiful parks. It's being "regenerated" at the moment, I think.

hls75 Thu 05-Nov-09 17:59:49

To answer the Pitshanger question - that's where I live and it is quiet, safe, good parks, a couple of primary schools that seem to be good (although I am still at bump stage so am relying on what I've been told by neighbours). It has some nice local shops like a butcher, fishmonger, bakery and plenty of cafes which is very convenient. I've been here 2.5 years and love it.

On another note, has anyone tried the NCT classes in Pitshanger? I've just signed up and wondered what to expect.

Yingers74 Fri 06-Nov-09 19:01:31

Hello,

Not been on mumsnet for a long time! Anyway we live in Acton and we really like it, it is not as pretty as Ealing but it has great transport links and it very close to local council sports centres (Twyford, Reynolds and Acton Baths) which comes in handy when the little ones get older! There are also some good nurseries in the area and some good primary schools. Currently, Ealing has had a huge increase in demand for primary places so if your kiddies are near school age (4) it might be worth factoring in being near a good school so you get a place! The shopping is not great but there is an adequate supermarket and we are close to westfield ( a brand spanking huge shopping centre) in sheperds bush. Nearby are also acton and gunnersbury park.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now