Durston House School

(6 Posts)
Surjane Tue 24-Jan-17 17:13:11

I am looking to move my son (in reception right now) from local state school to am independent school (Yr 1) with a smaller class size and one that can guide and prepare him for 11+ or 13+ exams for senior schools. Would be grateful for some feedback on Durston House.
1. Though there website states St. Paul's and MT as top senior schools boys have gone too, there is no current data on this. Do you have some info on this?
2. Also, Durston does not appear on any league tables and rankings so it is difficult to compare (I have read that some schools do no participate). Is that the case with Durston?
3. What is your experience with the pre-prep and prep and do most boys there take extra tutoring to prepare for the 11+ exams? This is very important for me to understand the school's role.
4. Is the school challenge the boys enough as per their ability or is it more one-size-fits-all teaching philosophy?
5. Do you think the size of the building itself is an issue, small classrooms and facilities being scattered across various locations?

Appreciate all you inputs and feedback. Thanks.

Surjane Wed 25-Jan-17 12:19:11

Anyone pls?

65bus Thu 26-Jan-17 08:38:14

My siblings and some cousins attended many years ago and went on to the likes of Latymer and MTS. They seemed to have a good experience and whilst the facilites are small, their sports day was always fun! I also remember my brother doing a lot of sports generally when he was there.

You could probably get updated stats on results i.e. where pupils end up these days, directly from the school.

Sorry can't offer more recent insight but if I was living in Ealing and my son was younger, I would definitely have considered Durston for him based on our previous family experience.

Surjane Fri 27-Jan-17 12:19:51

Thanks 65bus. That's good to know.

Surjane Fri 27-Jan-17 12:20:33

Any other Durston mums have any more insights please? Thanks.

nothing12 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:22:06

very interested in this thread. can durston mothers please provide some feedback.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now