Children with SEND in Durham! Potential new free, inclusive sports group!

(2 Posts)
Vicky163264 Mon 13-Feb-17 17:57:37

Hi there everyone!

This is my first post on mumsnet, so I apologize if I'm really bad at communicating on here! blush

At the University of York, where I currently study, I coordinate free sports sessions for children (3-11 years) with SEND in the local community once a week. Our group, KEEN York, has grown massively over the past few months - something we are very proud of. Later this year I will be moving on to postgraduate study at Durham University. I am currently wondering whether there are likely to be parents in the Durham community who may be interested in a similar service? If so, I am hoping to propose this to Durham University and create 'KEEN Durham'. If you think this might be a good idea, and that parents/children may be interested in a small group such as this, please let me know in the comments! smile

Thank you so much for your time! smile

Vicky!

Further Information:
I would be looking to recreate KEEN York in Durham. KEEN York is a (student) volunteer led group, funded through the University of York Students Union (YUSU) and fundraising by volunteers (completely free for the children). The sessions are an hour long and attempt to cater for children any additional needs (and their siblings). Typical sessions consist of playground games (Stuck in the Mud, Whats the Time Mr Wolf), parachute games (Fruit Salad, Sharks & Lifeguards), musical games (Musical Bumps, Fireball) and sensory activities. Parents are welcome to leave, stay or engage in the sessions. All volunteers would be DBS checked and would have to complete an online safeguarding course, as currently required for KEEN York. Sessions would take place in a sports hall at Durham University, with First Aid on site.
The KEEN York Website: www.keenyork.org/
The KEEN York Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/KEENatYork/

N.B. Durham University has not approved the idea of 'KEEN Durham'. This idea is purely conceptual at this time.

yveeastdurham Mon 13-Feb-17 21:58:01

It might be worth talking to the County Council because they promote activities like this through the Children and Young People's Network
www.durham.gov.uk/cypn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now