Nice areas to live in Durham

(9 Posts)
jadeyty Fri 11-Apr-14 21:01:02

Hello, please help! I'm looking at buying in Durham and near the A1 would be great as I have to commute down to Teesside.

There are new build developments in Bowburn and Coxhoe? Please tell me if these are places I should avoid??? Also what is carrville/belmont like?

My max spend is 180K but I dont want to live in a bad area. I dont know Durham at all...please help!!

StealthPolarBear Fri 11-Apr-14 21:05:33

hm so you obviously want to be southish
I'd avoud ferryhill and Chilton area personally
if you're going down to Teesside you'd be better off near the A19 - do you particularly like Durham City
Castle Eden v nice but may be too expensive
Cornforth...no idea what that;s like
Whereabouts are you going in Teesside?

felicitypolitics Fri 11-Apr-14 21:08:14

No good suggestions as I lived in Durham City, on the Bailey for three years as a student, but wanted to tell you how excellent it is up there. Truly lovely place, I'm jealous!

StealthPolarBear Fri 11-Apr-14 21:09:17

Actually look to see if you can afford shincliffe
That;s nice and on the road to Teesside while still being durham city
but personally I'd look further south
wolviston? - very nice

Indith Fri 11-Apr-14 21:09:44

I don't really know that side of Durham well at all. There is a huge fb group called Mums in Durham, if you request to join there then you can likely get a good range of opinions. If you pm me your name (of you are comfortable doing so) then I can let an admin know you will be requesting as they have had some trouble with spammers so are being careful with new requests. I'm afraid mn local doesn't get used much but we do have a thread going in the meet up section of the main boards and we like a chat, cake and cocktails.

jadeyty Fri 11-Apr-14 21:27:47

Thanks for your advice. My partner has to commute to Newcastle, me to Teesside so Durham seems like the perfect place. We want to be close to a city where theres things to do and most things are nearby. I'm considering doing help to buy which is why I'm asking about Bowburn/Coxhoe as its restricted to new builds smile

StealthPolarBear Fri 11-Apr-14 21:33:36

Where are you going in Teesside?
If it's the Durham side of Stockton, not too bad, anywhere further will be a bit of a bind
I think Bowburn is nice
Some new builds in Spennymoor coming up - a friend is buying one

karenah73 Sat 26-Apr-14 20:57:55

I live in Sherburn Village. We are very happy here and it is only 10 mins from the A19 at Wingate (via A181) and 8 mins from the A1(M) Carrville.

There is a school, doctors, sports centre, Co-Op, newsagents, bakers and Post Office within the village and 3 mins drive away is a huge Tesco and retail parks with Iceland, T K Maxx, Matalan, Boots, Argos, B&Q etc There are also plans for a large Asda supermarket.

When looking for our home, our other search areas were Belmont and High Shincliffe but really happy with our final choice. I also love that we are 10 mins from Durham City and within 20 mins of the coast too.
Good luck with your search. :-)

uno5 Sat 01-Aug-15 10:22:59

thinking of moving to durham as my daughter recently moved to pitty me any suggetions on nice areas within a 20/30 min walking dustance many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now