What is it like to live in Wimborne Minster?

(9 Posts)
Blossombee Thu 02-Feb-17 00:22:14

Hi. we are moving to Dorset and are considering Wimborne Minster because of the many outstanding schools. What is it like to live there? X

DorsetWarbler Thu 02-Feb-17 11:24:41

Good but my teenage daughter hates it ad says it is boring. QE school was doing well after a new Head but rumblings of discontent are still around and was talking to someone who is thinking about pulling their children out.

DorchesterHelen Mon 06-Feb-17 17:03:24

It's a sleepy little town. I love Wimborne but for the under 18"s without transport there isn't much to do or see. As they become more independent there is a bus service that can take them into Poole or Bournemouth but its a long ride on the bus.

Fab place for adults though, lots going on.

From what I recall the local private schools are very good, the state schools are good but not great.

I prefer Dorchester. The state schools are excellent and we moved to Dorchester from Wimborne for this very reason.

TableTableReview Mon 06-Feb-17 20:02:37

I like visiting Wimborne. We've somewhere a bit more in reach of the towns (and couldn't afford Wimborne ;)) friends who grew up there said there was a lot of drugs in the pubs as there wasn't much to do but that could be anywhere!

Brother lives in even tinier village out of Wimborne and loves it.

TableTableReview Mon 06-Feb-17 20:07:41

Wow just right moved Dorchester (we've only briefly visited... Their cinema is far cheaper than ours!!) and it's much cheaper than Wimborne.

Is it a lovely place to live? I would kiss the sea, but it's not far. Frustratingly my husband likes to commute to London (hence cheaper pricing I guess)

notactuallyamum1 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:13:56

Don't do it. I moved there when I was 12 and it was the most unhappy time of my life. I attended QE and did not achieve well academically or socially. My family still have property ties and I cry even at the thought of going back.

DorsetWarbler Tue 07-Feb-17 06:56:25

We didn't do QE for DD as she was bullied at Middle school so needed a fresh start which worked very well.

QE had definitely improved with new Head but i've started hearing parents complaining with one talking about taking her DC out completely, makes me very nervous as my second child due to go up.

There is a certain type who does well at QE. If your child is a bit quirky they are in danger of not fitting in, definitely the case for DD and I"m 100% convinced decision not to send was correct. There's some new thing come in where the top 27 in Maths and English ger their own sets but everyone will be mixed in together which no one is very happy about.

Over the past few years the number of children going to Poole Grammars has fallen which has benefited QE . This should show in GCSE results in about 3 years time.

Re first schools the Head of St Jame's is absolutely lovely. Allenbourn for middle was good but not so much now the Head left. St Michael's is much improved these days but not for SEN.

It hugely depends on your child really . If I has my time over we'd have moved to Lytchett I think. Thats pretty much the only school i've never heard anyone complain about.

TableTableReview Tue 07-Feb-17 07:54:43

That's true re secondary schools, however I've got 2 friends who are teachers there desperate to leave saying it's all changed.

Wimborne is a completely different system to Poole/Bournemouth/Lytchett. - Wimborne/Broadstone/surrounds has middle school system and Poole/Bournemouth has primaries /infant junior on the whole.

It can make changing between the systems a little harder.

TableTableReview Tue 07-Feb-17 07:56:43

I kind of loved the girl grammar, but I think it has really affected all the other schools in the area. Id personally love a good comprehensive area (Winchester.... Or presumably Dorchester.) I think secondary schools are tricky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now