Dorchester schools

(8 Posts)
Dad54 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:31:30

HI
We are moving to Dorchester next year and as far as I can tell our sons will go to the middle school based on where we live in the town.
So is there much to choose between Dorchester Middle and ST Osmunds? Any good or bad views on either?
Thanks very much

Cydonian Sat 12-Dec-15 08:14:42

Hi. I lived in Dorchester for many years and lived next to St. Osmunds. Very good school.

Dad54 Fri 18-Dec-15 10:01:17

Thanks Cydonian, really appreciate you taking the trouble to reply and that's good to hear. How long ago were you there?
Did you know the Manor Park primary as well, as it looks as though that combination will be where our boys go if we live in the eastern half?...whereas its Damers and Dorch Middle if we live on the west side
Thanks

Cydonian Sat 19-Dec-15 20:48:35

Yes i did, we attended it for a few years. Nice and firm headteacher who is good with parents, brilliant teachers and teaching assistants and they've just had a big revamp too

salsamummy Sat 02-Jan-16 21:19:38

You can't go wrong with either of the middle schools in Dorchester. We are only outside town but out of catchment. Welcome to Dorchester. :-)

TheGashlycrumbTinies Sat 02-Jan-16 21:28:37

We moved to Dorset five years ago, and chose to live in a village closer to Sherborne, to enable our children to eventually get into The Gryphon. We did look at both schools you mention, before making our choice, and they came out well with Ofsted. As said earlier, we are very lucky with our schools in this part of Dorset.

salsamummy Sat 02-Jan-16 22:04:36

How is the gryphon school? My son is at school in Sherborne but not sure where he will go next.

TheGashlycrumbTinies Sun 03-Jan-16 16:34:20

We are really pleased so far, our year 8 loves it and is looking forward to going back tomorrow. The results there are comparable to lots of the private schools in Dorset, and in some cases higher. We had the choice of the Gryphon, and Thomas Hardy(e), but went for The Gryphon as the results were marginally better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now