Best areas in Dorchester?? Any tips?

(2 Posts)
sunnysideudownunder Sat 01-Nov-14 13:15:19

We're moving in Feb 2015 from Sydney to Dorset for work. We're a couple with a 5 year old and a 1 year old. We want to make sure we choose somewhere to live with a bit going on socially. Looking for a good community, good schools, a few places to get good coffee, a couple good pubs and a few good restaurants, all within walking distance. Dorchester town looks like it fits the bill. Could someone tell me which areas in Dorchester are the most desirable that are 10-15 minutes walking distance to town? Or do most families with young kids live further out? Maybe not though, as it seems all the first schools in town have waiting lists for reception, except the catholic one. St Mary's in Charminster has places according to the council and according to Ofsted, it's outstanding. We would buy in town and drive to Charminster if that was the best school we could get into. Anyone know what it's like now, last ofsted was 2009. Hoping rush hour traffic isn't too much of an issue? My new office will be in Blanford Forum so I will be driving north anyway. Any other tips on meeting people would be much appreciated. We will know no one!!

poundburyprincess Sat 08-Nov-14 14:51:56

Hi there.
There are not many houses coming onto the market in Dorchester itself though you have Poundbury which is walking distance to town. its a bit like marmite you either love it or hate it. Most of the schools have a good reputation including Charminster. Would you possibly rent first? We live 10 mins outside of town in the Piddle valley which has a very good first school and close access to Blandford . if I can help further please let me know. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now