Schools in Torquay & Paignton

(3 Posts)
MovingToTorquay Wed 25-Jan-17 16:10:22

Hello. I'm in the process of moving down to Torquay and wanted to get a bt of advice about local schools. We've got 2: one in Yr 3 and one in Yr 6 so I'm looking for a primary and secondary. We haven't yet sorted out exactly where we're living so - at the moment - we're pretty flexible about where the schools are as we will probably rent to start with.

Can I ask the advice of all you lovely local MNetters: the Good? The Bad? And the Ugly? Which schools do you think are fantastic and which should be avoided? We are happy to look at private as well as state schools. We just want to make sure we find the right ones for the DC...

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Don't know the area and have no family or friends in this part of the world (yet!) so haven't got access to the usual local knowledge you'd rely on. Finding whole move rather stressful so would love a bit of MN help!

CranbrookRev Wed 25-Jan-17 16:53:31

I was in Torbay (moved out with work this year) and one key fact you need to be aware of is that it is a grammar school area. If you have a year 6 child I would imagine you have missed the chance for taking the 11 + now. A friends daughter goes to the Torquay Academy (non grammar) and she, and the school are doing really well. I would suggest looking at secondary schools first and then working out which primaries are best to feed into it. Hope that helps and enjoy Torbay

MovingToTorquay Thu 26-Jan-17 09:54:29

Thank you Cranbrook Rev. Really helpful. Will definitely have a look at Torquay Academy. Haven't fully explored grammar school option but suspect you're right. Not sure if grammar right for DC1 as not terribly academic so really looking for very supportive, nurturing environment. Really feeling the pressure of having to find the 'right' schools for them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now