Relocating to Kingsbridge

(3 Posts)
BGT369 Sun 06-Sep-15 22:13:58

Hi,

For the last seven years my DH and husband and our three DS (2,6&8) have been considering moving from Berkshire to Kingsbridge or one of the surrounding villages. My husband can do his job from home (IT based) so we wouldn't need to find work.

We are both so torn as we live in a beautiful village near the Thames, the boys love school and we have family and a good circle of friends here but we really feel like we could have a lovely life down in Devon. Crime rates seem to be increasing and London spreading outwards but is the grass always greener?? Please can anyone who has made the move please contact me with any advice as we're struggling to decide what to do for the best!!

Many thanks

missouributterfly Thu 24-Sep-15 12:32:40

Hi BGT369

So, we have moved back to Kingsbridge this last month after living in other parts of Devon. Our main motivation was school with our daughter starting in reception this September. The town's primary is rated "Good" but more than that has a fabulous friendly and energetic atmosphere. DD has settled in well and made friends. There are two main nursery/pre-schools in town which are also great and the secondary school is rated "Outstanding". Kingsbridge is a lovely traditional market town - it has a twice-weekly farmers market and lots of independent shops - butcher, baker, greengrocer and fishmonger in the main street as well as a cinema and leisure centre within walking distance. The fabulous beaches are so close by and Torbay and Plymouth are only 20 odd miles away as well as Dartmouth and Totnes being much closer than that. I think that it is a great place to grow up in a safe community environment and there are other parents on the school run here who have done what you are thinking of. Come on down and we can have meet-ups!

moortosea Mon 18-Jan-16 14:58:32

Kingsbridge is an amazing place, You could not of found a better place to move to.

I have very fast broadband where we are, one village over it's unusable, check carefully.

The only thing I can think of you may have to worry about, is reversing, if reversing feels you with any anxiety, practice until it doesn't and life will be almost stress free.

Up your children swimming lessons now, as in order to get the most out of living here they will want to get fully involved with all the water based activities, the better swimmers they are the better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now