At what age will/did your kids start travelling to school independently?

(4 Posts)
HelenfromDevon Thu 02-Jul-15 15:07:57

Hi, I'm Helen and I work for Stagecoach South West. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on allowing children and young people to travel independently to school or college. I know from experience it can vary enormously from child to child but, for example, in general would you be happy to allow your child to travel on their own when they start senior school?

The reason for my interest is we'll shortly be launching a new season ticket across Devon that's specifically aimed at anyone aged 18 or under. Until now this ticket, the Termrider, has only been available in Torbay but you'll soon be able to buy ones for Exeter, Exeter 'Plus' (inc. Teignmouth, Okehampton, Crediton), North Devon, Plymouth 'Plus' (covering as far as Totnes) and one for the whole of Devon. There's more info on our website about the current Torbay Termrider with info about the new tickets going live in the next couple of weeks.

Of course, I'd also love to hear any other feedback on our services - good or bad - dons tin hat and I'll do my best to come back to you all however it may take me a few days to reply.

Finally, anyone who replies to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win an Autumn Termrider, valid from 1st September to 31st December.

Looking forward to hearing your views smile

DevonMummy1 Mon 13-Jul-15 10:23:22

I think it depends on where you live. The only way my two can get to primary school is by car so I will have to drive then there until they go up to 'big' school when they can then get the school bus.
My nephew and niece however live in the same village as the school and they now walk home together after school. They are 10 and 11.
My older niece started catching the school bus when she went up to big school.

NDLindsay Mon 13-Jul-15 11:54:59

We go to a local village school and again only way is by car as the village is set off from a major road. Buses do not run through the village, only as far as the major road so it will not be until secondary school when I would need to consider it.

summerpuddingandclottedcream Mon 13-Jul-15 12:15:01

Yes, my son (8) asks constantly when he can walk to school on his own. He wants to cycle to secondary school when he's 11, but will need to work on his traffic awareness quite a bit first!

A school bus would feel safer, I think. I'd have to read up on it first though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now