Services any good for high functioning autism?

(7 Posts)
kylebella Sun 15-Oct-17 16:02:57

My son is 12 years old and has a diagnosis of aspergers-the area we live in at the moment is terrible at supporting children who are high functioning we have survived without any support from our local LA or his local secondary catholic school am thinking of moving to Sheffield or Derby/shire to be near my brother, does anyone have any knowledge of secondary schools in this area that are good at supporting asd without an ehcp plan, any social groups, sports clubs so my son and I can meet like minded people any groups for children with challenging behaviour? Hopefully it can't be as bad as where we live now thanks

PolarBearGoingSomewhere Mon 16-Oct-17 02:10:20

Hi

I have no idea about schools I'm afraid but the Derby Autistic Fundraising Group is a good place to start. They run a monthly meeting called Billy No Mates for children aged 12+ with autism to go and meet new friends. There is quite an active community and I know a friend of mine is helping to set up a parent forum for Derby. www.facebook.com/Derbys-Autistic-Fundraising-Group-442423312572866/

Also have a look at www.facebook.com/AutismAwarenessDerbyUK/

Hope this helps a little. Good luck with everything!

kylebella Mon 16-Oct-17 08:13:44

Hi polar bear thanks for this!!!!

Schroedingerscatagain Mon 16-Oct-17 09:00:28

In a nut shell, no!

I live on the Derby / Derbyshire cusp so have schooled in both and know a number of mums in the area with similar dc

Funding services and support are next to nothing even with EHCPs access to camhs impossible unless your dc is at risk of suicide

As we have a catchment area system here you would need to find the right school and move into the close area surrounding it

With so few actual attatched units for hfa you would need an EHCP to access a place and even then there would be no garauntee as there simply are not enough places available

There is a social group for teens run by the umbrella charity which dd loves but very little else

kateandme Fri 20-Oct-17 10:34:44

derby funding is shit.your right at the bottom of the rung for anything mental health,emotional.asd.its shocking.

Ellie56 Sun 19-Nov-17 01:35:27

You could look at:

The Ecclesbourne School -Derbyshire
(highly oversubscribed - you would have to be in catchment to get in unless you have an EHCP)

Allestree Woodlands School - had a new SENCO in recent years and has reportedly improved since. (Derby City)

Bemrose School Derby - has enhanced resources for students with autism (Derby City)

Schroedingerscatagain Mon 20-Nov-17 22:17:04

Wouldn’t recommend Ecclesbourne for ASD, had to remove my D.C. as there was no support

I have friends with asd dc at Woodlands who say senco is very supportive but realistically in Derby without an EHCP you’re generally stuck in your catchment school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now