Dh thinking of working for rolls - where would we live?

(69 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Tue 10-Apr-12 21:08:48

Dh is thinking of applying for a job with rolls Royce derby.
We live in Bristol and have 2 dc (3 and 1).
Where are the good places to live? That we could afford? Probably £35k salary for dh and I'd have to give up work for a bit at least.

Any ideas? smile

Belledechocolate Thu 30-Aug-12 20:19:16

This is a very pretty house

Hoophopes Fri 31-Aug-12 11:31:43

Agree no to Allenton, Alvaston, Normanton or Mackworth. Also Stenson Fields is nice place but Sec School was in special measures and if you want a forever home then it is probably a "no". Recommend Chellaston also. Moving costs, so understand you wanting a forever home now rather than moving again.

Landau Forte is a school that is highly rated but you never know if you can get in - it is in the city, has weird terms so not good if you have children at different ages and longer days etc I think.

Whenisitmysleepytime Fri 31-Aug-12 14:18:24

Eeeek! We have 3 viewings for Wednesday in derby - 2 in chellaston and 1 in littleover/ mickelover.

I am definitely leaning more towards chellaston now - the whole secondary school catchment thing seems a bit clearer in chellaston - simply because it's not such an odd shape and doesn't border lots of other places.

We'll have to see what Wednesday brings. And maybe tomorrow too a we have more viewings on our house!
<fingers crossed>

Belledechocolate Fri 31-Aug-12 14:22:48

It has weird term dates, Hoop, so can be hard if you have a child in primary school as well.

Best of luck, sleepy. I hope you find something that you fall in love with. smile

Hoophopes Fri 31-Aug-12 14:27:02

Enjoy looking around sleepy!! At least this coming week you can actually drive round Chellaston and Littleover to help you choose a specific area more and look at commute for dh! If he is prepared to cycle then Chellaston means you would only need one car. Oh - and there are buses, RR provides intersite buses.

Whenisitmysleepytime Fri 31-Aug-12 14:39:09

Hoop - tell me more about the buses!

Dh is quite excited about cycling - he wants to go shopping at the weekend. Which means I might need to shop too!

<ignores the fact that we should be saving every penny!>

Hoophopes Fri 31-Aug-12 14:47:28

Buses I think from the train station to RR. Then they have intersite buses - so if your dh has a meeting at another part of RR in Derby then he doesn't have to have your family car at work - he can either work, or get one of the free buses that seem to drive around RR sites all day!!

Chellaston is great for cycling as a family too... you can get to the canal by Shardlow, lovely marina at willington etc etc grin - so bikes would be great!!

GracieGirl Thu 06-Sep-12 19:17:52

How did the house viewings go? I live in Heatherton. I have a 5 month old DS and a 2.5yr old DD.

Heatherton babies is fab- though for under 2 years only.

Griffield primary is in Heatherton. The neighbours kids go and they are very happy there.

GracieGirl Thu 06-Sep-12 19:23:40

Thinking about it, my next door neighbour works at RR. He cycles to work.

Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 06-Sep-12 19:31:56

Our adventure in derby was great! smile

Saw 4 places - one shocker, one too small, one not in right place for schools but lovely and one that we LOVE!
Have told our estate agents to get a wriggle on!

I'm desperate to sell so things can get going. Derby seemed five - no worse than anywhere else we've lived - difference being that now we can afford somewhere posh! smile

Gracie - Heatherton is just a bit out our price bracket. But sounds lovely! smile

GracieGirl Fri 07-Sep-12 14:40:04

Sounds exciting!! So is the one you love in chellaston or Littleover?

I don't know much about Chellaston but I do have 3 friends who live there who all have 2 year olds. If you end up there I can put you in touch with them.

Whenisitmysleepytime Fri 07-Sep-12 15:48:36

It's chellaston. The new end, about 3 streets from the medical centre, one stop and fish and chip place. smile

We put in an offer in principle and it was accepted! shock grin

So, if you know someone who wants to buy a 3 bed in Bristol send them my way! wink

Whenisitmysleepytime Fri 07-Sep-12 15:49:20

Oh and the offer of finding me some friend's would be fab! That's the bit I'm most nervous about! confused

GracieGirl Fri 07-Sep-12 18:49:41

Fear not!!! I'll help find you some friends!! grin

Look at this website for a painting class for toddlers in Chellaston, I go to the same class but at Darley Abbey. It's fab!! My DD really enjoys it.
www.creativelittlepeople.co.uk

Hoophopes Sun 09-Sep-12 00:01:03

SO

Hoophopes Sun 09-Sep-12 08:49:17

So glad you liked chellaston! As well as the house there.

Clary Wed 26-Sep-12 01:03:19

Just to add my thoughts, Chellaston school very highly rated and students do very well.

Especially would recommend it for an academic child, lots of very high grades at GCSE there. If you need more info PM me, I taught there for 3 weeks as part of my training last year.

Primaries are good too tho Homefields has very small catchment, but Chell Inf and Jun good too, v big (4 classes a year) but well rated.

Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 01-Nov-12 09:11:15

Eeeeeek!

We have a moving date! smile
We will be renting the house we want to buy till ours sells. And we have an offer in principle on our house (based on his parents liking it). smile

The movers are booked and I now start the mammoth task of notifying various people we're moving. confused

Hoophopes Thu 01-Nov-12 21:27:55

that is fantastic, and how great you can rent before you can buy the same house! Hopefully that will save moving twice in Derby. Hope all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now