Dh thinking of working for rolls - where would we live?

(69 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Tue 10-Apr-12 21:08:48

Dh is thinking of applying for a job with rolls Royce derby.
We live in Bristol and have 2 dc (3 and 1).
Where are the good places to live? That we could afford? Probably £35k salary for dh and I'd have to give up work for a bit at least.

Any ideas? smile

Keziahhopes Mon 13-Aug-12 13:07:58

Ok in lots for tots, under Littleover section it has:
3 Parent & Toddler groups held in church halls (ie very cheap!)
Baby Sensory
Playgroup - held in Littleover Methodist Church
Water Babies
Puddle Ducks (but can just go to the much cheaper swimming sessions instead)
Heatherton Babies group
Activities at local sure start centre
Library sessions

But Littleover is near many other areas and if you can get to the City or Allestree or Micklover you then have:
Boogie Woogie Babies
NCT group
Little Tykes
Jo Jingles
Music Time
Tiny Talk (baby sign language - can take whole family for same charge)
Lots of Parent and Toddler Groups - 2 I know of in very large churches (but not religious) with fantastic toys and craft facilities for £1 charge on 3 days a week.
Soft play centres in several places out of town.

In the City there are as above, also baby gymnastics and Deda Dance and Movement - movers and shakers type things. Plus the swimming pool which is easy to get to by bus.

To encourage you that you will not be isolated and have lots of things to do
www.lotsfortots.co.uk

Whenisitmysleepytime Mon 13-Aug-12 13:25:51

That's fab! grin

I thought there'd be a fair bit to do in littleover but that's loads! smile

Thank you SO much for finding all that out! thanks

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 29-Aug-12 20:42:41

right we seem to have narrowed it down to littleover or mickleover. littleover is looking a little expensive/ difficult to find what we want so we might need to look in other areas.

can you tell me anything about any of these schools? they seem to be the nearest secondaries and i'd love to know which to avoid. smile

- littleover community school - outstanding ofsted - is it that great?
- derby moor community sports college - ofsted looks a bit iffy - high free school meals and english as an additional language are often indicators of a challenging catchment area here
- murray park foundation school - seems fairly average although improving?
- bemrose community school - the ofsted and their website seem to be at odds. the ofsted was ages ago though, 2009, have they changed much lately?

Thanks!

PS - anyone who Pm'ed me I'm PM-ing this at you - hope you don't mind! smile

Belledechocolate Wed 29-Aug-12 20:49:48

Avoid Bemrose, seriously. It's improving, but the GCSE pass rate has always been terrible. They were 'aiming for 24%' a couple of years ago and seem to have a lot of passes for vocational courses. Littleover community school is excellent, hence the house prices (as is Ecclesbourne school). Derby moor is also one to avoid, Murray Park isn't too bad. Generally speaking, look at the area. The poorer the area, the lower the exam results. It's wise to look at the catchment areas when trying to find a house, remember that the catchments will get smaller.

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 29-Aug-12 20:53:18

belle you have confirmed what i thought! smile
a fancy website can only cover up so much about a school.

i thought murray park might be ok so will maybe keep that as a back up plan.

there's not a huge amount on the market that ticks all my boxes atm in littleover, i'm hoping the perfect house will appear once we have a seller for ours! confused

naturalbaby Wed 29-Aug-12 20:57:32

Just seen your thread, well done your DH! Mine has been there for about a year and I hear and read nothing but positive stuff about RR.

Belledechocolate Wed 29-Aug-12 21:01:48

Do a google search. A behavioural expert was brought in about 5 years ago as the teachers were struggling, she ended up in hospital after being punched by a student! They are trying, it's a slow process though. A lot of parents want their children to get a place at Littleover Community school. Woodlands in Allestree isn't bad also, and the primary (Lawn) is excellent. Allestree isn't far from Mickleover. Duffield is lovely, the schools are 'Outstanding' and there's a small train station with links to Derby. It's on a main road, so easy to get to in the morning but drivers need to allow for the traffic as it can be busy. Parts of Borrowash are great, some of Chaddesden isn't too bad (schools are not good though), Normanton is an area of social deprivation, as is Willmoreton and Mackworth. Darley Abbey is lovely, but has little facilities apart from a pub and a shop which is only open for a few hours a day. Chester green is nice, I'm not sure which school it feeds to though.

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 29-Aug-12 21:06:36

i think we'll need to be on the south of the city.
dh walks to work atm so if a bit freaked out by a commute to work. he's currently thinking he can cycle to work from littleover, rather than buying a second car or being stuck in traffic etc etc

i've had a little look at allestree and duffield but i don't think our budget can stretch that far.

natural- thanks! we like RR bristol so hopefully its more of the same!
belle - i might not google search that story - i wake up in a panic about moving already! ;)

Belledechocolate Wed 29-Aug-12 21:11:26

Don't move to Sinfin! What about Heatherton? It's only slightly out of Littleover, so wouldn't take him too much longer to cycle.

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 29-Aug-12 21:33:02

Heatherton doesn't seem to have much on the market in our price range.
It looks nice on paper tho!

Belledechocolate Wed 29-Aug-12 21:36:09

Hmm. When are you moving? The property turnover is fairly still at the moment, so are you looking to rent until you find somewhere?

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 29-Aug-12 22:05:51

We want to move ASAP - need to sell here first.

Dh starts in October. RR will pay expenses for him to be I derby 4 days a week in a hotel for a few months. Ideally we will be settled by Christmas do I can get ds's reception place applied for in time!

We can't really wait around for the 'perfect' house. confused

Belledechocolate Wed 29-Aug-12 22:09:34

Best of luck. What sort of house are you looking for so I can keep an eye out for you? We don't live there now, but I go back when I can (we're back on Monday).

Belledechocolate Wed 29-Aug-12 22:12:25

There's loads on here!

Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 30-Aug-12 08:22:47

Yes I am all about spending too much time on rightmove!

I want 4 beds, kitchen diner, extra WC or bathroom, close to littleover school and probably have max £220k to spend. (although I'm looking at dearer!).

Hoophopes Thu 30-Aug-12 19:34:21

Hi - the type of house you want sounds lovely! Guess the problem is location and school with that budget if you are wanting good condition 4 bed. Not sure what to suggest. Would a larger 3 bed be any use, as may be able to get school catchment then. Or house that you could extend at later date, or move from easily.

Enjoy looking. And as others say here - definite no for Bemrose!!

ldt87 Thu 30-Aug-12 19:46:46

Have you looked at stenson fields? Very close to sinfin but very good primary. I have lived here for 2 years now and its great. Lovely local people. The only problem is the secondary is not good at all I don't think.

ldt87 Thu 30-Aug-12 19:49:39

Also you can still get quite a lot of house for your money here. I have a detatched 3 double bed with 2 receptions, garage and massive garden worth around 170k. Hope you find somewhere you like x

Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 30-Aug-12 20:00:22

well after a frustrating afternoon phoning estate agents in littleover we may need to cast our net wider.

what's chellaston like?
it'd be a similar commute for dh to work and the secondary school looks good.

any thoughts - positive or negative! smile

ltd - we did look at stenson fields but tbh it was the secondary school that put us off. we're looking at this as a possible forever house so it needs to be right.
hoop - we will have bugger all money left after moving for extensions and i can't see us having the large amounts of cash necessary to do a big building project.

Belledechocolate Thu 30-Aug-12 20:02:23

Chellaston is lovely. I'd live there, and the secondary school is really good. Just don't move to Allenton, Alvaston, Normanton or Mackworth.

Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 30-Aug-12 20:04:59

are those areas a bit rough? confused

<runs off to consult map again!>

ldt87 Thu 30-Aug-12 20:06:03

Ah I see, it makes sense if yo. Want to stay in one place once you've moved. I am looking at landau forte hopefully for mine as it is a very good school and central so only 1 bus away. I wouldn't want them ending up at sinfin secondary.

Belledechocolate Thu 30-Aug-12 20:12:17

Do you mean 'very rough'? wink

I used to live in the city centre, towards Allestree. It was in the catchment for Landau and my old neighbours son goes there. It's an excellent school, great sports facilities.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-21832881.html This is lovely. It's only 3 bedrooms though, but under your budget so you could do a loft conversion.

Belledechocolate Thu 30-Aug-12 20:12:39

Oh, and it's in Littleover.

Belledechocolate Thu 30-Aug-12 20:17:13

Or this? It's also in Littleover and is under your budget

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now