How is Wigton and Brampton to live

(5 Posts)
dupssylala Thu 13-Apr-17 00:28:00

Hello all, can anyone advice us on what this two place are like to live. We are moving from a city and need to live close to a special needs school in Carlisle. However, we've found some properties we like in this two areas but are unsure about them. Can anyone advice on good areas to live outside of Carlisle?!

Angeldt Sun 18-Jun-17 08:48:38

Hello I'm aware your post is a good few months ago and it must have been a pain not to get a reply. I moved to Cumbria in 2009 but thankfully knew the area from holidays etc .Brampton is a lovely place but it is quite small but seems friendly other than having a coffee there I'm afraid I can't give any further info. Wigton is where my dentist is so I have a little more knowledge. First would I live there, sorry but the answer is no. The High Street looks shabby and unloved, there aren't many shops except takeaways and charity shops with a Lydl at the end of town. They have a good,smallish library ,think the schools are ok, dentist is really good. The distance between Brampton and Wigton is quite big so if you can live anywhere near these how about Dalston or the outskirts of Carlisle. Another thought is Wigton has a plastics factory so nearly always had a smell known as the ' Wigton whiff '.

ProudRavenclaw Fri 14-Jul-17 11:25:36

Your OP is a few months old but thought I'd ask whether you found a place suitable. I live in Wigton so if not, I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the town

saza1705 Sat 22-Jul-17 16:39:19

Me and my hubby are looking to move to Carlisle next year. I'm looking for some advice on the best and worst areas to avoid. We can pretty much go anywhere. Children are grown up so not worried about schools etc. I'm a nurse so would be working at the main hospital, but don't mind driving.
We quite like villages, we have two big dogs..

many thanks.

ProudRavenclaw Sat 22-Jul-17 17:01:03

Saza I'm not completely sure about worst and best areas of Carlisle but I do know to avoid the Raffles area as much as possible (although I think it has all been renamed now, but I'll try to find out what they've been renamed as). I know a lot of people prefer the Stanwix area, but I can't say if that is personal preference on their part or if it is in fact the best area of Carlisle. There is also the option of towns and villages on the outskirts or a small distance away. There's Brampton, Houghton, Wetheral, Longtown, Dalston and others to research. Hope this helps a little

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now