Might be moving to cumbria - honest thoughts of Whitehaven and surounding areas

(15 Posts)
2lilladies Wed 07-Jan-15 17:57:16

Hi ladies my OH has an interview in Whitehaven and i would like honest opinions regarding the area and surrounding areas. We have 2 girls under 3 any information will help. Were currently living in Oldbury, West Midlands and this would be a huge move for us. Thanks in advance, Terri.

Helloall1 Fri 09-Jan-15 19:05:39

Hi, how exciting for you to be considering a move! Unfortunately I can't help with that particular area as I am only familiar with the South Lakes area so far. But I know how scary it is to move somewhere completely new and want as much info as possible!

I hope you get to speak with people from the Whitehaven area as local knowledge really does help.

Good luck smile

Cragbound Fri 09-Jan-15 20:20:30

That coastal area is very different from .. well, anywhere really. It has had big problems with employment and general lack of prosperity, but there is said to be good community spirit. You absolutely must go there for a good look round before deciding.

Welshcumbrian Fri 09-Jan-15 21:50:23

As my user name says, I'm not originally from Cumbria so will hopefullynbe able to give you a good insight to Whitehaven. I worked there for 3 years and pretty much saw all aspects of the town. Personally, I like it, although a little clicky its a nice small town with a cracking harbour, good pubs and restaurants and some fantastic coastal walks. There are a few estates to stay clear of but to be honest even those are OK. You will have experienced A LOT worse in the west Midlands. I don't live in Whitehaven although my in laws do and they love it. I live cockermouth way which is slightly better and a bit more peaceful.

Close to Whitehaven you have seascale, St bees, gosforth, these are fantastic places to live although property is a little on the expensive side.

Would I live in Whitehaven ? I have a 1 and 5 year old and the answer would be definitely yess but do some homework on where to buy. The surrounding villages and towns are decent and maybe a better bet but some, there aren't many mind you ,I would give a wide berth to also.

The way of life is sooooo much different up here than a bustling city further down south and really does take a while to get used to.

I have quite a good knowledge of most areas from millom to Carlisle due to my job so if you need anything further give me a shout and I'll send you my email address

holmessweetholmes Sat 10-Jan-15 09:47:11

Hi. My dh applied for a job in Whitehaven and we went to have a look around a couple of weeks before the interview. As a result of our look around, he pulled out of the interview.

Admittedly it probably didn't help that it was January and grim weather, but we found the area very run down and depressed-looking. Liked St Bees, but that was it. We drove around a lot, but didn't see anywhere that we'd have fancied buying a house.

We now live in Cumbria but further south, near the Lancashire border. Totally different area. Love it here.

2lilladies Sat 10-Jan-15 14:05:59

Thank you for all your replies were staying in St Bees this weekend and his interview is Monday anyway so we'll soon find out what's it's like fingerscrossed we like somewhere to buy a house.

Wetoopere Sat 10-Jan-15 15:05:28

I'm another south Cumbrian , don't know the west coast well but be aware of transport links A roads aren't all what they look on a map!

Wetoopere Sat 10-Jan-15 15:06:21

Don't know the west coast well (south Cumbrian) but check out travel routes as A roads aren't what they seem on a map !

Wetoopere Sat 10-Jan-15 15:07:19

Sorry first one didn't show ��

2lilladies Sat 10-Jan-15 16:32:14

Thanks for the advice made it to St Bees. Any nice areas to look for house not too expensive and names of places we should avoid. Thanks

Cragbound Sat 10-Jan-15 17:22:40

You might want to avoid Sellafield, unless that's where the job is.

Cragbound Tue 13-Jan-15 08:53:21

So what did you decide, OP ?

Hurst1981 Sat 11-Mar-17 17:58:20

Hi, useful information above, I too am looking into moving to Whitehaven from Essex. Have done some research but yet to visit in May and July. Although I understand employment can be an issue this isn't for us as Hubby works a lot that way as an engineer and I'm a Paramedic in talks that I would not have a problem being taken on in the North West area which is great. Our main worry is buying a house in the wrong neighbourhood, can anyone please tell us for our visit where the best and worst neighbourhoods are in Whitehaven so we know where to start or avoid our searches. We are looking for a real community/rural feel away from the hustle and bustle of busy town life, thank you and look forward to your comments

Bitingmytoungeishard Tue 11-Apr-17 18:24:34

Lived here all my life

Hurst1981 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:44:19

...so any pointers on best and worse areas???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now