Moving to croydon

(12 Posts)
thomas01 Tue 03-Oct-17 12:23:10

Hi to you all. W e are a European family of five relocating to Croydon end of july . Can you please advice any good schools for my kids ?6 4 and 3 year old. The kids know basic English , do you know if tehre is any summer program teaching English language for kids?Also i have been reading some good reviews about Croydon but i have also checked the crime rates from police.uk and i am worried. Can you please share your experience as locals if Croydon is a child friendly place?any good areas you propose for housing or any areas i should definately avoid?

Jas8085 Tue 03-Oct-17 13:48:45

Which part of Croydon are you moving to?

thomas01 Tue 03-Oct-17 14:35:08

We haven't decided yet. We are looking for schools and then decide. Any areas to avoid?we have bad reviews for Thornton heath are these true?

Liiinoo Wed 04-Oct-17 18:29:29

I grew up in Thornton Heath and my in laws still live there. It does have some nicish bits but I wouldn't move back. Generally speaking the north/west of Croydon is less expensive but can be grim as can lots of the less wealthy parts of London. the south of the borough (where I live now) has nicer, safer areas including some very, very nice parts (the Webb Estate in Purley is multi-millionaire country as are parts of Shirley). It is a very big area so it is hard to be specific but If you want to pm me about an area or school I will give you my impressions.

thomas01 Wed 04-Oct-17 19:09:03

Seriously thank you so much for your response

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Wed 04-Oct-17 19:48:03

Are you looking for state schools or independent?

thomas01 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:04:04

For the moment we prefer state schools but we are open to independent schools as well...

InappropriateGavels Wed 04-Oct-17 23:04:50

I can't tell you anything about schools, but I lived in the borough of Croydon for five years. I loved it.

Thornton Heath is grim, but the hospital is there.

Purley, Kenley, Coulsdon are all nice areas. Even South Croydon isn't too bad. Every single London borough has crime problems. Croydon has a knife crime problem, but then so does Lambeth and Southwark. Violence and sexual offences is highest in the City of Westminster. Robbery in Haringey in 4 per 1000 people, compared to just over 2 per 1000 in Croydon. It's a bit swings and roundabouts. As a woman walking around on my own day or night, I never felt unsafe in Croydon whether it was Croydon town centre, or some of the dark roads near my home.

Croydon is what you make it. There is so much to do there - you're never bored. There are great places to eat, some great places for entertainment, always something to do at the weekend. You never have to travel far to find something. I honestly don't think I ever left the borough in order to buy something even if it was a big purchase. The Purley Way is immense.

It being South London, the transport links into Central London are very good, depending on where you end up (where I was the trains were every 15-30 minutes) you could have just mainline railway or you could have the Overground service too, and there are tons of buses.

If I could move back to Croydon tomorrow I seriously would.

Hope you find somewhere to suit you! grin

RoderickRules Thu 05-Oct-17 00:14:44

Croydon has the largest resident population of any London borough, 410,000 and rising.
It is 50% BME.
It is also a very green borough, one of the greenest.
The council have had 50% cut in funding since 2010, lots of services have closed and been cut.
I'm not sure where you are re locating from, but I would avoid Central Croydon as I think it may be a culture shock for you.
Head for the South of the borough.

RoderickRules Thu 05-Oct-17 00:15:30

Hi five gavels
I love Croydon!

thomas01 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:05:13

Thank u all now it started to clear in my head...Croydon appears a great and promising place but since my children are so young I am worried about crime a lot even though I know it is worst elsewhere...do u have any recommendations on independent schools? We are coming from a small island where evrthing is quiet so definitely relocation will be a schock esp for the kidals...crystal palace park looks amazing !!!!

Liiinoo Fri 06-Oct-17 00:00:39

I really wouldn't worry about crime. There is a knife/gang issue in the area but it is not really directed against adults. It is very much rival teenage gangs fighting each other with some very unhappy consequences. Apart from that, it is business as usual for 99% of people ( I am a youth worker in the area and am always shocked by the difference between my experiences and those of my young clients).

You say you live on a small island in Europe - are you Catholic? There are some fantastic (state) Catholic schools in Croydon. Even if you aren't, there are also some great non-religious state schools. Look on the Ofsted (the government agency that inspects and reports on every U.K. State school) website for details,on every local school.

reports.ofsted.gov.uk/

Don't rush to the independent sector without checking out the state schools. My DCs were state and comprehensive all the way and ended up with amazing grades at GCSE, and A Levels and ultimately good degrees from Russell Group unis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now