Waiting list at Royal Russell

(7 Posts)
greyed0ut Thu 02-Feb-17 16:01:57

Hi all,

I have a friend whose daughter has been told she is on the waiting list for September admission to Year 7 at Royal Russell senior school.

I am wondering whether anyone has any advice as to how likely she is to get in. Is there much movement on the waiting list? I am hoping that as parents with multiple offers accept other schools, the chances will be good.

Thanks.

Ambee15 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:00:33

My child will be going up to Y7 in September. All children in y6 got offers last summer so our place is guaranteed. I saw over 300 children take the entrance exam and I believe there are over 100 on the waiting list. Really depends where you are on the list. Did you ask admissions?

CaptainNjork Thu 02-Feb-17 18:06:23

I would think there is a decent possibility of getting a place from the waiting list. It's always hard to tell as it depends how many offers the school made originally - they all tend to over-offer to allow for refusals.

But, I think many people apply to RR as a safety net and won't take up their places if they get into one of the grammars that are within range or into the Whitgift schools which are usually seen as more desirable. So I'd expect there to be quite a few people who'll reject their RR offers meaning the waiting list should move.

Always a good idea to call the Registrar if you are on the waiting list and let them know that the school is your 1st choice and you'd definitely take up an offer if lucky enough to get one.

Ambee15 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:56:07

Don't agree Captain. That used to be the case but there are no Grammar schools in the borough and the boys that were moving went to Trinity for year 6. Existing pupils that are staying have paid their deposit so they know how many places they have to offer. There will be a bit of movement but with 100 people+ on the wait list there will be a lot of disappointed students.

CaptainNjork Thu 02-Feb-17 21:34:50

Um - Wallington and Wilsons are both easily commutable.

No idea about pupils moving from year 6 to year 7 but as you say that isn't the whole story because they still have places to offer. I know plenty of kids who have applied to RR, but have also applied to Whitgift, Trinity, Alleyns, Dulwich, JAGS, the GDST schools etc... and will turn down their RR offers in favour of any of the others. That means there will be probably be some spaces that aren't taken up - hence wait list will come into play.

Ambee15 Thu 02-Feb-17 22:25:15

I have a child at the school and also have spent some time speaking to admissions on this subject. RR is a popular school (not just a safety net). Four forms in Y7. (Currently 3 in Y6). Existing y6 offers have gone out and been accepted/rejected. Offers have gone out to girls (boys this week or next). They over offer as you say. If you are near the top of waiting list you should be fine. Without knowing where you are it's impossible to say one way or another. Good luck.

greyed0ut Fri 03-Feb-17 10:10:51

Thank you for the responses. I can't really check directly with the school because, as I said, it's not my daughter who is applying. I just wanted to give my friends some reassurance that there is still hope (RR is their number 1 choice).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now