Purley Skyscraper being decided today!

(4 Posts)
SandersteadMum Thu 15-Dec-16 10:01:49

The Purley Skyscraper is finally going to Croydon Council’s Planning Committee on this evening. This is a proposal to build a 17 floor Skyscraper in Purley opposite the Pizza Express on Purley Cross.

I think most people would agree that the site needs to be developed but most locals disagree with this development because:

(1) It is out of keeping with the rest of Purley where the next tallest building is only about 5 floors, and will change the character of the town
(2) It will set a precedent so other skyscrapers may follow
(3) It only has about 40 parking spaces for 200 flats so will cause parking chaos

The local MP, Chris Philp, has collected over 9,000 local signatures opposing this plan, and will present these and speak in objection. There is to be a protest on the steps of the Town Hall immediately before the Planning Committee meeting at 6:15pm – the more people who come the better and everyone is welcome, even if they haven't been involved before. If you are interested, come to the Town Hall at 6.15pm this evening on Katherine Street in central Croydon, and to the meeting inside immediately afterwards. It's important that the council sees how strongly residents in the south of the Borough oppose this plan.

LocalGirl1 Thu 15-Dec-16 10:24:27

Thanks for flagging this. It's been going on for years but the Council has been very quiet on when this would be decided. Aside from it being a total carbuncle, where are they all going to park? I guess Foxley Lane will become a car park and that will grind to a halt just like Purley Cross.

Will see if I can make it tonight.

LocalGirl1 Sun 18-Dec-16 23:34:10

I couldn't make it in the end but DH went along. He said that it seemed to be a foregone conclusion. The 6 Labour councillors who represent wards towards the north of the borough all voted for the proposal so alas, we are going to have the 17 floor skyscraper.

I dread to think what's going to happen to Purley Cross during the construction. Someone said that they expect there to be c.600 inhabitants - and 40 parking spaces. Can you imagine the parking mayhem and the obstructions this will cause. I don't suppose that the councillors who voted for it will ever be affected.

Roderickrules Mon 19-Dec-16 22:32:13

The traffic is so bad there already...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now